Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5 sl with 20,200 miles on it.

Customer Question
Problems with the transmission so...
I have a 2014 Nissan Altima 3.5 sl with 20,200 miles on it. Problems with the transmission so the dealership replaced the transmission. Yesterday after I picked it up, drove in rush hour traffic for a bout a mile then merged onto adjacent highway and tried to accelerate.
I was going about 35 at the time. I could not get it to go any faster. I tried various things which did not work.
After having it towed back I saw an oil trail right from where it was parked. so I drove maybe 3 or 4 miles pumping the trany oil out without knowing it. Now the dealership is saying there was a problem with some hose, they took care of that and I guess they filled it back up with fluid. When I went to see how they were doing they were ready to take it for a test drive. I flipped out. They made a huge mistake, and all I could see is them covering it up. So they kept the car yesterday, did road tests with it and said they did not see any error messages.
How do I know that internally something did not fail and I might have a problem when I am on vacation where there aren't any dealerships to help fix this problem.
could they have flushed this transmission out at least to help get rid of the oil that was in it during the time I ran it dry.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
1/21/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

On one hand, this transmission has a fairly good fluid fail-safe mode. What that means is that it will keep from engaging the internal clutches if the fluid gets low enough to where the clutches would be damaged if they did engage.

On the other hand, there is no way of telling if the transmission did get heated up enough from the low fluid condition to damage anything. A fluid replacement wouldn't really help much if damage was already done.

I think your only option is to get it in writing that the dealer will take full responsibility if you run into problems because of their negligence which caused the transmission leak. Or they could give you a loaner vehicle to drive while they thoroughly test your car.

You will most likely not have any problems, but then again you don't want to find out the hard way.

You reiterated what someone from a transmission shop said to me. My only concern is I realize this is a new design transmission but I am just very concerned for the safety factor. I was on the highway and could not get out of the way of a tractor trailer. Not good.
On the more traditional transmissions there was a pan that you could drop to change the filter and inspect for metal particles.
I guess on this new type there really is not anyway to inspect that. Plus I was told that there is some hose that might be a pressure line that they should have flushed out. If they did not pressure could have built up and ruptured the original line thus generating a leak. Is that true

No, you are right, there is no pan to pull and heck for metal on this transmission. There is a drain plug, but I doubt you would see much metal there if it was present.

The only way that the line popping off because of pressure theory could happen is if there was a fluid restriction in the system which caused the old transmission to go out. It's much more likely that the repair tech just didn't tighten the fluid lines enough before releasing it to you.

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician