Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car won't start. The darker orange Key icon is flashing…

Customer Question
My car won't start. The...
My car won't start. The darker orange Key icon is flashing and the lighter orange key is on the dash. What do i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
1/20/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This issue is due to the steering lock control unit. I am sure your steering wheel is not locked correct?

It feels like it. Extremely hard to turn
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

To get the car to start if the steering wheel is not locked, I use a small hammer and tap the steering lock control unit while stepping on the brake pedal and hitting the start button. See this video to locate the control unit so you can start the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zywVhHJWXgo

Do you have any more questions on this? Do you want me to send you the phone call request?

Call please
No call if it will cost more

I sent you the request. Please do not enter any personal information in the question. Once you accept the request you can enter you private information in a private box.

Where is the steering lock control unit?

There is a additional charge for personal contact to be made.

If you do not wish for any other additional charges, I am sure the information and the video I provided will help you to get the car started. But to keep this issue from happening again, the steering lock control unit will need to be replaced.

If you watch the You Tube video I supplied it shows it's location so you can tap at it with a small hammer.

Where is the control unit located. Battery is too low on my phone to watch the video

It is located on the steering column under the drivers side dash area.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/steering%20lock%20control%20unit.jpg

That link is a image of its location

How do i know if its 'locked

If you can use two hands and with force turn the wheel, then its not locked.

You will feel it if it's locked and this issue is very common on 09 models. They had a warranty extension for 6 years on this part. But this warranty extension is expired now.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Ok if i have more questions will i have to pay again?
Do i have to take it apart to hit the column?

if you have any more questions on this topic, as long as you return back to this question, follow up questions are no extra charge after you rate me.

You don't have to, but it does make it easier to start if you remove that lower drivers side dash cover.

Ok

If you can view the video I supplied, it will be the most helpful.

Thanks Jay!

I'm a young lady. I don't have a hammer. Anything with small force is ok?

Hammer works the best, ***** ***** that you can hit it with will work also.

Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service

Thanks Jay!

I sent you the offer to speak with me just in case you would like to speak with me.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician