Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My name is ***** *****, and I have a 2000 Nissan frontier

Customer Question

Customer: Hi my name is ***** *****, and I have a 2000 Nissan frontier and the car is misfiring and some time it shut off it happen two day ago after fill the with gas I though that had a bad gas replaced gas filter and add gas treatment in the gas tank and still misfiring and catalytic turn red after while of running.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the car is not running right change the plugs and wires and I noticed when truck is running I put my hand on top the distributor cap and feel very rough like a bad bearing and don't know what to do
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes I will wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

First thing I would like to say about your issue is that when you get that rattling feeling at the distributor cap, that is a sign of a loose timing belt and that it needs to be changes ASAP. Timing belts get done every 90 to 100k miles.

Back to your issue. Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the engine is running? Also what brand spark plugs did you install?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it weird that after fill the car with gas it all started the this problem. but I will follow your advise to check the timing belt. thanks I will keep you inform.Jay
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The timing belt is just one of your issues. If this happened after you filled up with gas, you could have gotten bad gas. I would try to run that tank out and fill up next time with premium fuel.

Also what brand spark plugs did you install?