Nissan

Nissan repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2005 nissan altima 3.5 se sometimes get stuck in 5th gear…

Customer Question
Hi my 2005 nissan altima...
Hi my 2005 nissan altima 3.5 se sometimes get stuck in 5th gear after it warms up. I took it to the mechanic and got the cam sensor "replaced" later on the same thing happened again, the mechanic said it could be the solenoid but my car shifts great when its not stuck on 5th gear..please help i hope i dont need a whole new tranny
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running? if so, do you happen to know what code you have?

Also do you know if your mechanic got the Cam Sensors at the dealer or local auto parts store?

the check engine light is on but no i do not know the code.. Also i do belive this mechanic shop did get its part at auto parts

After market electrical parts never tend to work right.

Do you have a Auto Zone near you? They offer free scans. Can you go there have them do a free scan and return back with the code?

i can do that again before i did the first time the guy looked up the code on the computer and it said the cam shift sensor is failing..also i wont be able to go to a local auto store until 2pm cause im at work right now
If you cant answer me without the code and 2pm is to late then a expert opinion would help please

The cam sensor really won't cause the transmission to get stuck in 5th gear. So I don't think that is the problem. The cam sensor would cause hard start issues or stalling. That Cam sensor if it's after market may continue to give you issues.

But lets do this. I can't really help determine anything with out the code. So I will hold this question open for you till you can return back with the code.

Will that work for you?

There is no way I can determine direction needed with out the code. That is why I will hold this question open so you can return with the code so I can help give you direction on what may need to be done to resolve your issue.

Ok i will reply with the code asap thank you very much

Your welcome.. Talk to you later this after noon.

Thanks Jay!

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!