Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

What is the life span of a CVT transmission on a 2007

Customer Question

Customer: What is the life span of a CVT transmission on a 2007 Sentra?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car has 140,000 miles. We recently bought it used for my daughter, only to find out the transmission is slipping. A mechanic recommends replacement. The cost is close to 3k. Would 140K miles be a reasonable life span for this transmission?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Asking a life span is almost like asking me how long a light bulb should last. I have seen transmission fail with 3k miles, and I have seen them fail with 200k miles. It all depends on how they are driven and how the car is maintained.

If I was to guess to pick a average for you, I would say around 120 to 140 is what I would say I find around the most common for trans replacement. Though I have done quite few 180k and a couple 200k ones as well.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I buy a rebuilt CVT transmission?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you were to buy a reman CVT unit, it comes with a blank tcm how ever and will require it to be programmed to operate properly in your car. The only place that sells reman units ( rebuilt ) is the dealer since these transmission require special tools to rebuild them.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!