Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 1999 nissan pathfinder which will crank but not

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, hello. I have a 1999 nissan pathfinder which will crank but not start. it is an intermittent issue. I changed the distributor because the crank sensor was bad and it still happens. There is spark and fuel present
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the relays appear to be functioning and the vehicle will start after time. sometimes it is a minute, other times it is a day. I am wondering if there may be an issue with the ignition cylinder
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you get this distributor after market? Also are you sure it is installed correctly?

What code did you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is correctly installed and the timing is good. there is no code. that is the issue, I haven't had a code since the cam sensor before I changed the distributor. That has cleared and the stalling out due to it has also cleared.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the distributor after market?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once the car starts it runs great. it is just getting it to start when it acts up. The security light goes off when the key is in the on position.
Yes I did
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at O'rielly's
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is most likely your issue. When it comes to after market electrical parts, they are so unpredictable, and can't trust there operation. I run into this allot with After Market electrical parts. They actually have you spending more money on more parts you don't need.

I am going to strongly recommend that when it comes to electrical parts, to get them at the dealer. So for this issue, you will need to replace the distributor with one from the dealer.

It is very common for them not to set codes and cause running issues or hard start or no start issues.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions?