Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2012 Nissan altima push start won't work

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/9/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Does the ignition come on at all? Does the head lights work?

it does car was brought to a friend who used a jumper wire to start the car . so yes

Yes, the ignition comes on? meaning if you press the start button once, it goes to ACC, and if you press it again it turns ON where all the dash warning lights come on?

What do you mean he used a Jumper wire to start the car?

Does the ignition not go to the ACC position? does it go right to ON?

1. He bypassed the button and has a wire going to the battery so they could start the car.
2. You push the button it goes to acc, push it again it goes to on.

He ran direct power to the push button to start the car?

Were all fuses checked with a test light?

No I think it was to the starter
From the starter to the battery

Do you know if you have remote start in the car?

Do you know if the brake lights work?

Its not remote start and yes brake lights work but one bulb is out

You do have remote start?

No it doesnt

is this a coupe or sedan?

Are you able to do some checks?

Sedan , I'm not at the car right now but you can tell me the checks and I will get back to you

I have a couple idea's on what to check to see if we can isolate the issue. Part of this may require a scanner. But if you can do a couple checks and you have a volt meter, I am sure we can isolate the issue.

How handy are you? Other wise, I can give you some of my thoughts on what needs to be checked so you can have it done.

Let me know..

There is a plug on the top of the transmission for the transmission Range switch. This is what detects if the car is in Park or Neutral. If the car can not see if it's in Park or Neutral, it won't start. So I would check that. If that looks good, then I would ohm the wires from the Park/Neutral switch to the IPDM. The two wires go to Pins 74 and 72 on the IPDM. If that all checks out. Then I would check to see if the BCM is grounding pin 46 at the IPDM. These are signals that will allow the starter to engage. We know the starter is good cause it was jumped and it started the car. So we need to look at these signals. If both of these signals are good, then the IPDM is your problem and that control unit would need to be replaced.

Hang on a min while I get you the wiring diagram and IPDM pin layout so you can check this..

oh.. 1 last thing. There are two fuses in the IPDM as well. Make sure you check them also. Click this link below to download the wiring diagram so you can perform the proper checks to isolate your issue.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/2.pdf

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

OK I will be at the car in a few hours to do the tests , I will get back to you

You got it. With the information I provided, you should be able to isolate your issue, so let me know how you make out.

Thanks Jay!

How would I test the transmission range switch?
And the wires to the ipdm just check for continuity?

The switch it's self should have continuity if in park or neutral. So pin 74 should have power to the switch which comes from fuse 33 in the IPDM. If the switch is good and you are in park or neutral then power should come back out of the switch and back to pin 72 in the IPDM. Checking at the IPDM is much easier than checking the switch.

The range switch and park/neutral switch are two different switches?

yes, I am thinking the Park/Neutral.. but it's actually the Range switch. The Park Neutral is a external switch, but the Range switch is internal of the transmission. So if that is bad, the TCM would need to be replaced.

I mean the Transmission. I think this has a external TCM on this year

I am no longer in front of my computer. Working off memory now..

OK there is power through both pins , how do u check if its grounding pin 46 with a test light?
It is not Grounding but when I put ground to it it still doesn't start

You don't want to use a test light, you can burn out a control unit. You need a volt meter

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician