Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2011 Nissan pathfinder 4x4 le wont start when its cold. Put

Customer Question
Customer: 2011 Nissan pathfinder 4x4...
Customer: 2011 Nissan pathfinder 4x4 le wont start when its cold. Put new battery in and changed crank shaft sensor. Still wont start. Fuel pump is working and it is getting fuel. will start when its warm out. Throwing no codes. Baffled.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes, No spark at coils when cranking. Strong cranking from car. Fires up when warm and runs fine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, hopefully I will get the answer for that
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, there is no pulse at the injectors.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Changed crank shaft sensor at transmission. just want to make sure you have all the info.thanksRob
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/9/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

HI Rob,

Sorry for the delay in the answer. From what you are describing and since it's temp related it sounds like the issue is with the ecm relay in the IPDM. This is the large fuse and relay box under the hood. Losing both spark and fuel injector pulse if it were due to a cam or crank sensor should leave a stored code in the computer. Since you are losing both, and don't have any codes, it indicates to me an electrical failure for the computers power.

This could be a bad connection on the IPDM, the ECM relay in the IPDM or the wiring at the ecm.

On the 2011 the ecm relay isn't replaceable without replacing the entire IPDM, in fact the service manual doesn't even show which relay is for the ecm. The older models did, and we could do a swap to determine if the relay were the issue or not.

In this case what I would do is this, when it's cold and you don't have any spark or fuel, take a blow dryer and heat up the IPDM. Then see if you get it to start, if you do, then replace the IPDM. If not, then you may have to take it in and leave it over night for scan tool diagnostics when it's cold. With a good scan tool, we can see if one of the other sensors is causing the issue.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician