Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My 2002 nissan altima just got new spark plugs new water

Customer Question
Hello my 2002 nissan altima...
Hello my 2002 nissan altima just got new spark plugs new water pump and thermostat and has trouble starting once is does start the engine will turn off after like 5 mintues or so whats wrong with it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
1/5/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running?

Let me know...

no there is no service engine light on

What brand spark plugs did you install?

Also did you replace any Cam or Crank Sensor recently also?

it was champion and no

First off, these engines are very sensitive to what brand spark plugs you use. These engines only like NGK spark plugs. Bosch are the worst ones, and .... well Champion in my opinion are for law mowers.

Do you have the old NGK spark plugs? Did you clean the throttle chamber or anything else when you did the spark plugs?

Water pump and thermostat should not cause this issue.

Let me know..

does it matter what kind of NGK spark plugs they are as in laser DBL plat or IX iridium

I asked if you had the old spark plugs? Also did you clean the throttle chamber or do anything else you may have forgot to mention?

no i dont have any old spark plugs and im not competely sure i didnt change them myself a friend of mine did

oh so you don't know what he did exactly. Did you speak to him about this issue?

i did

Did he come back to double check his work? Did he clean the throttle chamber? Did the car run fine after he was done?

Is the car warm or cold right now?

im not sure if he did and the car did run after he was done it just stopped accelerating when i was driving and then the engine cut off

When the key is turned to the On position, does the engine cooling fans come on?

Oh boy.. That is a sign of fail safe. When the fans come on when the key is in the ON position this normally means that there is a control unit failure or communication.

I would have your buddy double check all plugs are secure in the IPDM if he removed that to do the water pump ( that is that fuse box on the passenger side by the over flow bottle ). He needs to double check any ground wires he tampered with. If everything is good, and you can't find anything wrong, then more advanced tests need to be done at the Ecm to determine if the Ecm has failed or the IPDM has failed. But that is what that means when the fans come on. It's a control unit communication issue or failure.

Do you have any more questions on this?

when the car turned off it would not turn back on it would click but the engine wouldnt start could that also be the spark plugs

If the fans are on when the key is in the ON position, as much as I don't like using Champion Plugs in these engines, ti won't cause the fans to come on.

When you attempt to start the car, the engine turns over but doesn't start? or do you just get rapid clicking or a single click when you try to start the car?

rapid clicking

Rapid clicking is normally a sign of a weak battery. The Alternator may have been removed to do the water pump. So you may want to have you buddy check the connections at the alternator. It maybe possible that the car was running off the battery and the alternator was not charging and drained the battery causing the car to turn off.

I would try to jump start the car and see if it will start and idle. If it does, then you want to check the alternator to see if it's charging.

You also want to pay attention to the engine fans. If the car turns over and doesn't start but the fans constantly stay on, then more advanced electrical diagnostics needs to be done to check the Ecm and IPDM for the no start issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician