Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

MY NAME IS ***** *****, THE ALTERNATOR WIRE WAS GROUNDED ON

Customer Question
Customer: MY NAME IS...
Customer: MY NAME IS ***** *****, THE ALTERNATOR WIRE WAS GROUNDED ON THE BRACKET, 2006 NISSAN MAXIMA WILL NOT TURN OVER TO START, I HAVE REPLACED POSITIVE BATTERY TERMINAL POST FUSE,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: EVERTHING ELECTRIAL WORKS INSIDE THE CAR, IT WILL NOT TURN OVER TO START
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: YES
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
1/4/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Which wire was on the bracket? The one that the 12 mm nut goes on?

It goes to the altnator

I know.. You have the plug and the one wire. That one wire is secured by the 12 mm bolt. That is the one that touched ground?

Everything works in the car as it should but when you turn the key to start the car, nothing happens? No noise? Not a single click?

That's right

Do you know if you have a Remote start on the car? I am also assuming you disconnected the battery when you replaced the Alternator.. Correct?

No remote control. And yes battery was disconnected

Are you the original owner? The most common thing I have run into when the battery is disconnected to do a Alternator or what ever else requires the battery to be disconnected and when reconnected and you turn the key and nothing happens is a after market alarm is installed. If you are not the original owner, and you never have had a the battery disconnected before, this is one way you normally find out.

Did you put the Alternator in yourself? If so, I take it you are handy. Handy enough to look under the drivers side dash area to see if there is a after market alarm installed.

Let me know.

Im not the original owner, and there is a a small box 2x2 box in the fuse box area inside
Under the dash

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/After%20market%20Alarm%20control%20unit%20unplugged.jpg

If it looks like the one in this link I just provided, unplug the one big electrical plug to it. Then try to start the car.

Let me know how you make out.

It don't look anything like that

You have nothing under the dash at all that looks like it?

Did you try shifting the car into neutral to see if it would start?

Do you have a test light to check all fuses?

I tried neutral, and I will test fuses

Do you know how to check them with a test light? You want the key in the ON position to see if all fuses are getting power on both sides of the fuse.

Ok

Let me know how you make out.

Jay it's getting late can we finish in the morning

Sure, I will be online in the AM and I have no problems keeping this question open so we can continue.

Have a good night and Talk to you tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Your welcome

Checking in cause I did not hear from you at all today.

Im away out of town won't be back till 8pm

ok.. I will be online again tomorrow if you want to look at this during the day?

Ok

Talk to you tomorrow.

Have not heard back from you.. Checking in to see how you are making out.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician