Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2000 Nissan Xterra se 4x4 3.3 won't start no fuel pulse no

Customer Question
spark, has new distributor, fuel...
2000 Nissan Xterra se 4x4 3.3 won't start no fuel pulse no spark, has new distributor, fuel pump and fuel sending unit
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
1/2/2016
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

Pull the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is turning as you crank the engine. If it isn't then the timing belt is broken or the bolt has come out of the rotor.

Since you don't have injector pulse or spark it does indicate an issue with the cam sensor which is part of the distributor. The distributor not turning would not produce any signal from the cam sensor and cause this issue.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Rotar is turning have tried 2 new distributors from rockauto. Checked tI ming on distributor it is also correct

Do you have any stored codes in the computer?

Do you have a compression gauge so you can check the compression and make sure the belt didn't just jump time?

Also, how did you make sure you were at #1 TDC compression stroke before installing the distributors?

used dowel to make sure TDc. Battery went dead so no codes stored

If the cam sensor was a problem then it should store a code for that once you recharged the battery and cranked the engine.

Are you 100% sure you are on the compression stroke?

Just checked took cap off had it cranked blows out when rotar hits 1

Ok, do you have a volt meter so you can check this new distributor and the wiring?

Have a multimmeter

Ok, before we chase the distributor and cam sensor wiring, check the start fuse in the fuse box inside the truck. This is the small 7.5 amp fuse. Fuse #7. If it's blown the computer won't kick on the spark or the fuel injector pulse.

Please let me know.

Swapped out 7.5 from turn signal which was good still no spark or pulse

Ok, ignition switch on or in the start position do you have power on the black/white wire at the distributor or not?

With red probe into black w white. Black probe grounded to battery 12.1v with tester set on 12v

Ok, we have power going into the distributor.

You should also see a black/red stripped wire, need to check that for countinuity to ground. Please check and let me know.

Black w/red has continuity

Check the black/pink stripped wire voltage with the key on at the 6 pin connector at the distributor.

Let me know.

11.75 on black/ pink

Ok,

I think we need to take a step back and do this.

Take the cap off the distributor and rotate the engine until the rotor is pointing at #1

Then, from the top, look and make sure the timing pointer is actually pointed at the grooves on the harmonic balancer.

If it isn't, then you need to pull the distributor and rotate the engine 180 degrees until your hash marks are up top and the pointer is pointed at them. Then, drop the distributor back in so your pointing at #1 again.

You have everything you need in terms of power going to the distributor,and it seems unlikely you would get 2 distributors that aren't any good. Possible yes, likely however not so much.

Try this and let me know.

Thought I would check and see if you did what I suggested and if it helped or not?

Okay back on project. Turned distrib. Cranked engine it was compressing when rotar at 180 so repositioned. Still no spark tested start sig fuse with test light. With switch on no signal but with switch turned between off and accessory it had power. Switched with other working 7.5 same result

To be clear, the distributor was in fact 180 off but you still don't have any spark?
You have all the power to the distributor so a lack of spark would have to be a problem with the distributor at this point. OR the computer. Are you getting the check engine light when you turn the key on?

Start signal should only have power when the key is in the start position.

No distributor was correct turned it 180 still no fire. Had plug out shoved pvc over opening to be able to feel pressure. Cranked and compression blowing when rotar opposite #1. There is no check engine light or service engine soon light

So the check engine light isn't coming on when you turn the key on?

No it does not come on

Ok, can you check the fuses in the fuse box for power with the ignition switch in the run position please?
Want to make sure there is power on these.

Make sure there is power on these, not just that they are good.

I am sending a diagram of the inside fuse box and highlighted the ones to check

Let me know.

When I take test like ground to frame in touch probe to each side of fuse then the light comes on. On the number 7 views the only time the light comes on is when you turn switch on and turn switch off and that is very near the off position

#7 should only see power when you are in the start position. That's our start signal fuse. If it's not getting power when the key is in the start position and the engine is cranking, it could be the problem. Can you double check it please?

No 7 has Power when in start position

That is directly the opposite of what you said in the post just before this one?

Am I wrong here is that not what you are saying?

I was not not cranking it earlier only had it it in on postion. When we cranked it it shows power to no 7

Ok, well things are still pointing to the distributor here.

I am going to open this up to the other experts and see what they can do.

Please don't reply or rate or it will lock it back to me.

Sorry I am not able to help with this.

Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you still require help with this?

If you remove the distributor cap and turn the engine over does the distributor rotor turn?

Where did you buy these distributors and have you done a timing belt on this car lately?

How many miles are on this vehicle?

Water pump timing belt all that was done about 10,000 miles ago it is about 167000 mile and the distributor robot from rock auto
rotor turns

Do you have any current codes not?

Also I can say Rock Auto your getting the cheapest electrical parts. They never work right. Had a question 2 weeks ago where a customer tried 2 distributors also. Told him to get it from the dealer. That got him going.

You really are going to need to most likely start with a Distributor from the dealer for you issue.

Please let me know what codes you had before you replaced the distributor and if you have any current codes?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician