Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

2003 Nissan 350z, w/150k miles has service engine soon on,

Customer Question

2003 Nissan 350z, w/150k miles has service engine soon on, Autozone showed 2 codes P0327 and P0507. I took to a mechanic and they replaced the throttle body however it now starts with high idle (actually had difficulty starting today) and service engine light reappeared (2days later) but is no reporting those same codes plus two new ones (so P0327, p0507, & new P0152 & P0132). I also feel like the car is making an odd sound on freeway at speeds over 50mph. What is needed...feel free to write in mechanical speak as I wll take into my mechanic.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Hey there, quick question before we get started.

Did the car seem to run and idle normal temporarily after having the throttle and relearn?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
started a little louder and idled a little higher than normal..thought new throttle bottle returned car to a better setting than what the 150k mile car sounded like.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Did you check to make sure the intake hose did not come loose at the throttle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mechanic installed the throttle body...would it be drivable if hose was loose?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

yea it would be driveable, just causes unmetered air post maf to get into the intake.

This can cause it to surge or run lean/rich. which will flag those o2 codes you got afterwards

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Generally when you get BOTH those codes at the same time like that it's because of a rich condition. This could simply be caused from poor installation of the intake after the MAF replacement.

Would be the best place to start before worrying about other issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you think it's loose? could they have missed the idle relearn or maybe it needs a new knock sensor sub harness? I'm hoping it's just loose.if I lifted the hood would I be able to tell (i'm not too mechanically inclined)?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

You could probably tell.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

here is where it would most liekly be loose

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check, THANKS! ***** just tighten the clamps or would it need to shift down more on the hose connections?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Just start the car and feel around them for leaks. they should be snug and a light tug should not cause any looseness.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't worry about your knock sensor code until you first deal with the idle and high voltage O2 codes.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

If you had ONLY a knock sensor code that would be different, but its common for a knock code to come secondary to any A/F mixture issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any reason for odd sound above 50mph on high way?
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

If you had an air leak it would make weird sounds at cruising speeds. LIke a drone or a hum or even a whistle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
kind of like a drone, like an ac unit's fan rattleling...thought it was tire related.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

It's HARD to diagnose sounds over the net, but first I would look into what we first talked about and tackle one thing at a time.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

you can always follow up here on this same question for free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Jake...I went and checked the hose is not loose...never noticed it but it seems to be plasitic...no wiggle at all and I didn't feel any air leaks
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** it idling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it jumped over 2k rpms at start but then lowered pretty quickly, only let it run 2-3min
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

well after it jumped up on initial start (which is normal)

Did it settle back down to like 800rpms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it's running over 1k for sure...thought maybe bc it's older
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

no, thats still high idle.

Was it idling that high when you got it back from the mechanic?

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

There are a couple of ways to perform the relearn, one is with a scan tool and the other is with a manual procedure.

Neither will take if the idle is too high when performing it, so sometimes tricks are used like unplugging an injector etc to get it down.

I am curious if the relearn was ever even completed, because your dilemma is that your o2 codes represent a a rich condition or high voltage condition, but your idle imitates an air leak. Both of those don't generally go hand in hand its one or the other, because an air leak generally causes a lean shift.

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

I gotta run for a little bit but will be back to chat a bit later.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

if you have more questions let me know, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jake,
Is it okay to drive if the "relearn" wasn't performed correctly of if there is a leak? I don't want to damage the car, however it's my daily commuter. let me know
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

Yes you can drive, just might get poor gas mileage is about all

Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

let me know if you need more help, thanks.

If not just be sure to leave a kind rating.