Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

P0340 on 2002 sentra spec v
, well the cmp connector

Customer Question

Customer: p0340 on 2002 sentra spec v
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: well the cmp connector broke so replaced it and noe it just cranks the eccs fuse was blown replaced it and still nothing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: thats fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Where did you get the Cam Sensor replacement connector from? Are all the wires connected in the right order?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
picked it up from from a junk yard and tested all the wires and there good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got the orientation in the right order
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You replaced the Cam Sensor as well I take it? Where did you buy the sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea i did
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Where did you buy it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
advance auto parts also have my original
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i hooked my scan tool up to it and timming is reading 63 degrees
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

After market Sensors never work. If you had a P0340 code for the cam sensor, you need to get the sensor from the dealer.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I also like to normally replace the CAM and CRANK sensor in pairs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats why i put back my old one and i hooked my scan tool up to my buddies spec v with the connector disconnected and same thing once you start to crank it drops down to 7 or 8 degrees
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yeah.. Did the car run at all with the old sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ran a aftermarket crank with a original cam and it was fine yea it did
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When it comes to after market sensors, they never work right. Do your self a favor and just get the sensors from the dealer. I know they are more money, but we are talking safety. Sensors from the dealer will resolve your issue.

I would put back the CAM sensor you had and you can see if it will start. But if you have a after market Crank Sensor that could be the issue of the CAM sensor code and can certainly also keep the car from starting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea i put it back and i got nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea i know that for fact once the ecm sees that its a no go
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I have dealt with this so many times online and at work where customers get a Cam Sensor code, pick one up at there local auto parts store and put it in. When it doesn't fix the problem that is when they bring it to us. They bitch and scream when we tell them they need a cam sensor. They don't understand cause it's brand new. It is something that every true Nissan Tech knows that when it comes to electrical parts, stick with the dealer. These cars don't like After Market electrical parts.

Give that a try, and if you have any more questions on this, you are welcome to return back to this question and I will still help you if needed.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its odd because it ran like that for some time unless it failed but like i said the eccs fuse blew but through all my testing it hasnt blown again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yea ive heard even when worked for nissan as a tech they would say it
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The worst is when Nit Wits Garage replaces a ton of after market electrical parts to try to fix a problem. That is when you don't even know where to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thats true "parts changers" as we would call it
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yup.. So lets give the sensors a go. If you still have any issues, feel free to return back to this question. I will continue to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alright sounds good
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok then. Take care and return back and let me know how you made out or if you have any more questions on this.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did it Jay still the same
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Really? .. The only other thing I would say then, it may have jumped time if you replaced both sensors with sensors from the dealer.

I would pop the valve cover off and put the engine at TDC and check you upper timing marks to see if they are lined up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm skeptical of that because it wasn't until the wire broke on the connector all this happened and the eccs fuse blowing
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It could be a ECM issue, forgot about that. Would you like the ECM terminal Reference check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Possibly I put the fuse back in even though all my testing it hasn't blown again and sure
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Pages%20from%20ec3.pdf

That is the Ecm terminal reference check. What I normally do is print this out and bring it to the car. Then I would go through each pin on the Ecm ( Key On, Engine turning over, Key Off , These tests only ) of course you can't do the engine running tests. But I will take a pen and write down my findings on the paper and when I am done I look at all my findings and compare them all with the spec readings.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Lets run that check and see what we come up with. If the ECCS fuse blew, it is possible that the Ecm may have shorted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also forgot while cranking rims read 175
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rpm
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

During Cranking you need to use a Oscilloscope to really monitor to see if the Ecm is seeing the proper signals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I know which pin I'm testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries found it
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

On the very first page has the pin layout

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How you been
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about that ready when you are
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am having a little issue right now.

Do you need my help on how to do the pin check?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just what pins you want me to check
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I do all the pin checks that I am able to