Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Bought a 98 pathfinder it cranks but won't start. Codes came

Customer Question
Bought a 98 pathfinder...
Bought a 98 pathfinder it cranks but won't start. Codes came up knock sensor and mass air flow sensor, not firing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
12/11/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What year Pathfinder is this? Also what are the actual code numbers as well please.

Let me know.

1998 codes po100. Po325
Did you get my text?

With a 98 Pathfinder if you have a Bad MAF sensor it will not start. So since you have a MAF sensor code, the first thing you will need to do is replace the MAF sensor. I also recommend when you replace this part that you get it from the dealer. Don't get it from local auto parts stores. When it comes to after market electrical parts they never work right. After market MAF sensors if you do get one that meters air properly, it will flat line 02 sensors and having you replace parts you don't need to replace.

As for the Knock Sensor code, that will not cause a Check Engine light to come on and won't keep the car from running. I would only worry about that code if you are due for inspection.

Do you have any more questions on this?

what keeps it from firing?

The MAF Sensor. With these older Pathfinders, if you have a BAD MAF sensor, it can't determine how much fuel to add to the air mixture. That is why it won't start with a bad MAF sensor.

I can provide you with the diagnostic steps for the MAF sensor if you like.

?

I have very limited funds, so just trying to get running as cheap as possible

Then I would see if you can get a Used MAF sensor from a local salvage yard. I would rather customers try that than get a after market MAF sensor.

But that is the first thing you will need to do to attempt to get it running. Especially since you have a code for the MAF sensor.

Do you want the diagnostic steps for the MAF sensor so you can verify it?

Ok, thank you, ***** ***** try that

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Pages%20from%20ec.pdf

That is the diagnostic steps for you.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician