Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2007 Frontier cruise control malfunction. Works

Customer Question
Customer: 2007 Frontier cruise control...
Customer: 2007 Frontier cruise control malfunction. Works intermittently, sometimes shuts off on its own.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sometimes it works, other times when you push on the SET light flashes; however, even when it works it may Cancel at any time. When it does this the Cruise light stays on and you can re-Set.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: No, kinda in a hurry right now. I can check back another day.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
11/30/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** thank you for for your question.

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light when the engine is running? Air Bag light or any type of warning light?

Nope, only the TPMS light, and it just came on recently. The cruise has been going fool for about a year.

Is it a nice clear day when ot acts up? Or does it not work when its raining?

Anytime, rain or shine. Doesn't matter.

Thank you. Most common for the cruise control to intermittently work or to cut out on you out of the blue is a bad cruise control cancel switch. This switch is down by the brake pedal. This is what detects the brake pedal is depressed to cancel cruise control operation. This switch is about 30 bucks and can be installed in about 20 mins or less. It is a twist lock type of switch. Meaning after you unplug it, you turn it counter clockwise to release it. The to install the new one, you simply press it down so the switch is applied, then twist clockwise to lock.

If you have any more questions on this, Please Feel Free To Ask.

If not, and you are satisfied with my help please Rate me.

Thanks Jay

I forgot to mention the truck has a manual transmission, and there is a switch on the clutch pedal as well. I guess I'll need to replace them one at a time to see which one is the problem. I sure hope they're only about $30

How is the clutch on the truck? If it slips just a little bit it can turn off the cruise control.

If you were able to use a scanner you would be able to see if its the cruise control cancel switch or maybe the clutch switch. But they are not that expensive if you wanted to try replacing them. I would start with the cruise control cancel switch though.

Thanks Jay

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician