Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My rear tail lights do not turn off (Nissan frontier 2001),

Customer Question
Customer: My rear tail lights...
Customer: My rear tail lights do not turn off (Nissan frontier 2001) , ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The engine is turned off but rear lights stay on had to disconnect battery.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
11/29/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

Do you still need assistance with this?

Ok

usually when this happens it's the brake lights. If you follow the brake pedal arm up under the dash you will see 2 switches. One is for the brake lights and the other is the cruise cancel. Please see the diagram I attached so you know which is which. Unplug the brake light switch and the lights should go out. If they do, then look at the pedal arm. Nissan uses a plug in the brake pedal arm that sometimes breaks. When it does, there is nothing to push on the brake light switch plunger and the brake lights will stay on. You can order a new one from the dealer is this is the case.

If not, get back to me and let me know.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

I am unable to disconnect switch harness.

Did you look at the pedal arm to make sure there plug isn't missing?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician