Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5l SE is burning a lot of oil 155k

Customer Question
Hi, My 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5l...
My 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5l SE is burning a lot of oil 155k on the engine no leaks...but also the heater is intermittent...not sure what to do to stop the oil burning so much maybe a quart every 50miles...and if the heater issue is related?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
11/27/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

Sadly, if the car is burning that much oil, it's usually an indication that there is an issue with the oil rings or the cylinder walls. This is going to mean a rebuild or replacement engine. The heat issue may be a sign of a bad head gasket as well, although if you have auto climate control it could be a malfunction of one of the sensors. The only way to be 100% sure of the cause of the oil consumption issue is to have a leak down test performed on the engine. Basically compressed air is blown into each cylinder one at a time, then you listen for the leak of air. If you can hear it in the engine when you remove the oil fill cap, then the rings on that cylinder are bad.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Hello, I was just wondering how you were making out with this issue?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician