Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2006 Nissan frontier with a 2.5 in park it runs

Customer Question
Hi I'm Frank I have...
Hi I'm Frank I have a 2006 Nissan frontier with a 2.5 in park it runs like a top ...in first and second it does ok but has no power and third it just fall on its face ...any ideas
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Nissan
11/23/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hello Frank, my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Do you have a service engine soon light on when the truck is running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its a generic code reading random misfire that's the only stored code
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had a miss but after new plugs intake gaskets and 1 new injector and all o rings the miss is gone but the no power problem is alive and well !! I also replace the pcv valve and put a new clutch fan on it

So you resolved your issue?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No not at all I can't go over 40 mph and have no horse power
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The above is everything I've done but the power issue remains if it were that simple I wouldn't have wasted ur time or my money for this service

ok.. Do you have any current codes? Also do you have access to a scanner to monitor fuel trim readings?

When you had the intake off, did you check your power valves to see if all screws and plates were present?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only code was random misfire. ..I believe my scanner will read fuel....in park it runs perfect full range of pedal no miss runs great problem occurs as soon as you put it in gear
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also the problem occured out of the blue ....but once it did it has remained

Did you happen to check the power valves in the intake?

Also if you can read fuel trim, can you get me the short term readings at idle after warmed up?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are u still working on it ?

I am waiting for you to tell me if you checked the power valves in the intake and if you can monitor the fuel trim readings?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok give me a bit I'll be right back with ya

I will be stepping away for a few. Just give me your results and I will reply back as soon as I can.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still waiting on the truck....is the mas air flow a possibility

Is could be. I have a test we can do if you can monitor fuel trim which could help determine if the MAF sensor is a issue.

It could be a clogged catt also.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The intake is a complete assembly that bolts straight to the head....there were no plates or screws visible. ....even replaced the valve cover gasket but the plug port o rings are not available or required on this engine. ...again nothin special just dual ohc....

Do you know where the power valves are located?

Also, are we able to monitor the fuel trim?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok Jay im gonna have the truck in about an hr or so and I can hook it up I hope ur gonna be around
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also power vallves where are they pls

I am currently working today.. I will try to jump online as soon as I can.

The power valves are the plates between the intake. I have seen screws that hold the plates fall out and the plate shifts or comes off causing misfire and running issues

You also want to check the Catt Converter to see if it's clogged up also.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure if we are talking bout the same engine ....2.5 lt straight 4 cyld....the intake itself is one piece no plates or screws and it bolts straight to the head there are no plates or screws either just the head.....only 120k u think a cat would fail that soon ? Although that would explain no power

I know exactly what engine. The upper part of the intake separates from the bottom

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wouldn't there b an smell with a plugged cat

No, if the exhaust is clogged up it won't allow exhaust to flow out properly and it will kill the engine power. Meaning it would only be able to accelerate so much cause of the excessive pressure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Jay im baaack lol ....excessive heat would go along with a clogged cat as well correct ? If that intake seperates I sure didn't see how unless it just snaps together and I sure didn't want to break it .....now as its been a few days the engine is still running great but power loss has increased im thinking that cat is toast.....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey Jay I have a new code PO420 generic, catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only stored code I cleared the rest but there were only 2 ...... 1 was misfire on #2 and the other was random misfire now this new code PO420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I fixed it !!!!!!

Sorry for the late reply. My boss had this idea for us to work today.

What did you find?

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician