Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2007 Nissan Quest SE. It has dual climate controls.

Customer Question
Hi, I have a 2007...
Hi, I have a 2007 Nissan Quest SE. It has dual climate controls. Starting last winter, we noticed that the passenger side will sometimes start blowing hot air while the drivers side blows cooler air. This happens when Dual control is off. If we turn Dual on, and lower the temp setting on the passenger side, the warm air will stop.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
During the warm months, we have no issues. Both sides blow cool air. This problem only happens when the outside temperature is cooler than the inside cabin temperature.
11/17/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic

If water is circulating in the system and the top hose is hot, are you sure the thermostat is not in backwards? Because if it was stuck open the upper hose would not be getting hot.

Please forgive me that response was for another question,

On your nissan it sounds like your auxiliary water pump has failed, quite common actually, and you describe its systems perfectly, this pump is small and mounted in the heater core hoses, can you locate it? With truck running and heater on it should be running, if not check power and ground

I have a service manual for my Quest but I cannot find anything called an "auxiliary water pump". I did find a heater pump that is located underneath the cowl. It is connected to the heater core pipes. Is this what you are referring to?Also, I want to reiterate that I don't have a problem with the heat coming on. Its just that too much heat goes to the passenger side. The driver side feels like its getting the correct mix of hot and cool air, while the passenger side is only getting hot air. It makes the passenger side uncomfortably hot.

Yes that is the pump I am referring to. And yes u need to check its operation. because of the design of the case and heater core it is

Possible an air pocket will get in heater core and prevent that side from drawing hot air. We will even elevate the vehicle front up to get the air out, and that pumps operation is critical. Another common problem is the in car temp sensor its located about where your right knee is (driver) and it can become unplugged. Drop the drivers kick panel and check. It looks like a little speaker grille, if not park the vehicle at a steep incline with front up see if heat improves if it does u have air in system

I am familiar with the cabin temp sensor location. I will check it. As for the heater pump, how do I verify its running? Do I just turn the heat on and feel it?

Yes, have you parked on an incline and checked it's effect on the heater

Not yet. I will when my wife gets home with it from work. If it is an air pocket, will elevating the front fix it? Or is this just a diagnostic procedure?

Both actually, elevating it will help with the bleeding, refer to the coplant bleeding procedure. And perform it with the truck elevated. Let me know what you find

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician