Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1985
20625509

Im wondering if there should be voltage to pin 7 on this

Customer Question

Hi mike, Im wondering if there should be voltage to pin 7 on this relay as well, I have a 12 v reading from negative cable to negative battery post when checking with multimeter. I began to locate and clean all grounding point and check for resistance from each ground lead to body. All checked out good except for one, next to the left headlight are 3 grounding points, one which had no reading. So with my power probe I put 12 volts through the ground that had no reading. When I did this, the shift lock would engage. Also if I turn wiper switch on then the wipers come on aswell when 12 volts is applied to the ground,
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Are you continuing from another post, cause I don't see any other posts by you under this screenname. Anyhow, it appears you started talking in the middle of something. Why are you checking for a battery drain, cause it appears that is what you are looking for. If you are, you should be using an ammeter instead of a voltmeter cause it is the current that drains the battery quickly. You could have a 12 volt drain but only a small, less than 50 mA current drain and that is acceptable. On the other hand, you could have 12 volts and well over 50 mA, and that is no good.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Plus, what relay are you talking about?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I can tell you there will not be any voltage to the relay if you still have either battery cable disconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I did continue from a post about p&n clutch interlock relay, did you see my message about testing grounds?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I need the link to the other post.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Then answer those other questions I asked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how to send the link, but this is the response.Hi mike, Im wondering if there should be...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

No, I read that.

You said there was another link? If so, is it under the same screenname? If not, what screenname and what is the date/time of this post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was about a no start issue submitted 4 years ago. Anyway we can start fresh. I'm not having a no start issue. Im having battery drain, I connected multimeter between negative cable and negative battery post to read milliamps. I got a reading of 165 milliamps, only supposed to be 50 I belive, is that correct? So i beagan to pull fuses... Nothing. So I began uplugging components. When I got to the cluster, it immediatley dropped below 50. I left cluster unplugged,and then measured volts between negative cable and negative battery post. When I did this i measured 12 volts. This isn't normal am I correct?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Yes 50 mA.

When you pulled the fuses, did you leave them out until after pulling them they were all out?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

What cluster? The instrument cluster?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Why did you switch from using the ammeter to the voltmeter? The ammeter is the proper tool to use.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

With everything hooked up as usual, is there anything on the instrument cluster that doesn't work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure why I did that, iguess my curgot the best of me. But wouldn't that indicate another problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The speedometer hasn't worked for a long time, but what I belive was causing the drain, was that the odometer was staying on at all times, with key out of ign
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I could. You are talking about the 12 volts still there, correct? It really matters what the ammeter reads, Like I said before, "You could have a 12 volt drain but only a small, less than 50 mA current drain and that is acceptable. On the other hand, you could have 12 volts and well over 50 mA, and that is no good."

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Well, then that is it if you ask me. replace the cluster.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct, that's great to know about the 12 volts being ok on negative side with 50 milliamps or less, it's very difficult to find a cluster. Do you have any suggestions?.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I need a cluster, but I'm wondering about what I asked in the first question about three grounding point, and one of them having no contact to ground but when I give it 12 volts through the ground it powers up devices such as wipers, cruise control and p&n switch realy. When I pull the relay for the p&n switch and measure to see if I have good voltage and ground... I did, but I also got a voltage reading on pin 7. Is that normal
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand what you were checking and why. That is what happens when you just start in 1/2 way in the middle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I said I was checking the ground
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

How were you checking these grounds? With a voltmeter across a disconnected circuit or across them particular grounds? If you got a voltage across them then the drain is flowing through circuit as well. If not, then it's not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All grounding point in the engine compartment
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

But exactly how were you checking it?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

All grounds are common grounds, so if there is a reading then the drain flows through that ground circuit as well. If it don't then that circuit is most likely open or off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lead to battery neg and one lead to a ground ring that connects to fender using ohms setting
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Anyhow, a bad ground will never cause a battery drain, so I would just forget it.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

See if you can send the cluster out and be repaired. I don't really know who repairs them but I do remember reading about it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is it powering up these devices when power is applied to the ground with no continuity to ground
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here is a good place to start, http://www.instrumentclusterstore.com/

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you want me to answer that, you will have to repeat exactly what you are doing and make it understandable.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You cannot simply apply power to a ground without causing sparks and blowing out fuses, etc.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You know what. I have no idea what you are talking about. I am going to opt out. If another expert doesn't want to try to figure this out, I suggest you open a new post and explain exactly what and why you are doing something and don't start a conversation in the middle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm asking why one out of six grounding point has no continuity to ground, but when power is applied using a power probe 3 through that ground that has no continuity start powering up devices without blowing fuses. What's so hard to understand about that with 30 years experience of dealing with these issues. You still never told me if there should be voltage on pin 7 off the park neutral switch relay with key off and removed from ignition
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you see now. This post sat here for 13 hours and no other expert wants it.

You opened this post by saying, "Hi mike, Im wondering if there should be voltage to pin 7 on this relay as well".

What relay, I thought.

You started this post in the middle of a thought.

Later you say the park/neutral switch but by then I was wondering why you were doing all of these tests and come to find out it was because of a battery drain. Why I said the cluster was bad, you said you already knew that.

I will answer though, even though I don't truly understand.

Pin 7 of the park/neutral switch should not have voltage with the key off. It is powered from the fuse #12 in the left dash fuse box and is only hot with the key on run or start.

Plus, the shifter would have to be in drive also.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

That transmission wiring diagram is with these diagrams,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I still don't understand how you are checking these grounds.

You said,"I began to locate and clean all grounding point and check for resistance from each ground lead to body. All checked out good except for one, next to the left headlight are 3 grounding points, one which had no reading."

Reading from what? Voltmeter, ammeter, ohmmeter, power probe, etc?

I suspect an ohmmeter, but you didn't say that. If so, why are you using an ohmmeter? Plus, what do you mean they checked out good? What was the actual reading? How exactly were you hooking up the test leads?

Again, what do you mean by no reading? No reading on what gauge?

You said "So with my power probe I put 12 volts through the ground that had no reading." Again, no reading on what? An ohmmeter? First of all, you cannot use an ohmmeter on a live circuit, second of all you cannot apply 12 volts directly to a ground. I don't understand exactly what you are doing.

Auto-mechanics is a very technical thing. It gets even more technical when someone else is trying to explain what they are doing to another mechanic. When you explain something, you have to explain it fully or alot will be lost in the translation.

Then you follow up with "Also if I turn wiper switch on then the wipers come on as well when 12 volts is applied to the ground," I don't understand how or even why you would be applying 12 volts directly to a ground.