Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I bought an 09 Altima from somebody who had recently had

Customer Question
the engine changed and was...

the engine changed and was having problems starting it. It would turn over but not start and I was not getting spark. He was advised by the dealer that it could be ecm or bcm but he didn't go any further with fixing it. This is where I come in. After eliminating the cam and crank sensors, I decided to order a ecm and have it programmed at the dealer. They got it programmed but said the car wouldn't stay running long enough to do the idle relean. I was a little confused when I picked it up b/c it was running fine with a slight stumble. I towed it back to my shop and started it again for a couple of minutes then turned it off. When I went to restart it, SAME PROBLEM. It turns over but has no spark. Now, let me say that I am getting a P2100 code, which may be related. I am ASE certified in engine electrical so I will understand any requests to use a volt meter.  I have also have a scanner with limited capabilities.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
11/13/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code P2100 can be set by any of the following,

• Electronic Throttle Actuator (ETA)
  • Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Engine Wiring Harness

In order to determine which is failing you are going to need to do some testing, I have enclosed the test steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P2100%20Nov%2013.pdf
Would you mind please opting out of the question. I appreciate your offer to help, but I had another question open regarding this where someone is helping me that has timed out and we are far beyond this step. I need him to join this question. Regardless, i don't need any additional help at this time. Although, it is appreciated. Please opt out.
Nissan Mechanic: Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic

Try swapping the throttle relay with another one in the ipdm (fusebox) clean the throttle body and do the relearn procedure,, if your scan tool has it, if not disconnect both battery cables rub them together for about a minute then hook back up, Now turn the key to on wait 10 sec turn off on again off again then on crank the car with all acc off and allow it to idle on its on if it doesnt crank again. after it runs and stabilizes drop trans in drive and let idle. The relays are prone for failure and a dirty throttle body will cause this, hope this helps

Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon, Auto Mechanic