Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2005 nissan frontier LE. Been having problems

Customer Question
withthe blower motor working and...
I have a 2005 nissan frontier LE. Been having problems withthe blower motor working and not working. Works when I hit a bump then hit another bump and it goes off. It also would blow a fuse every now an then, but mostly worked. Now it does not work at all. Put a new resistor in. Checked the motor by taking it out and hooking it up to a battery and it worked fine. Took a volt meter and checked the resistor and when I switched the motor speed on the dash dial it showed power was going from the switch to the resistor. Checked the lead to the motor and no power at all. Checked and replaced two separate 15amp fuses with new ones still no power to the motor. Checke the fuse box by pulling the fuse and had 12+ volts on one side. When i checked the two fuse connections with the volt meter no power between like there was no ground. Took the battery out and checked all the ground wires connected to the passenger side engine compartment. can't figure out the problem
Thanks
Len
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
11/12/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

If you plug in the blower and check for power, do you have power on both of the wires at the connector?
The white/green and the blue?

Pulled the plug of the motor and no power to the plug with the fan speed turned on.

Ok, so key on there isn't any power on the white/green stripped wire at the blower?
If there is, plug the motor back in and check to see if the power is then transfered over to the blue wire.

Also, did you put all the fuses back in and know they are good?

There is no power to the whit and green wire to the blower. See my first question. I checked the fuses and replaced with new just in case. Have power to the resistor plug, but not to the blower.

What color wire at the resistor has power?

I find that interesting because the switch doesn't provide power to the system.

There is a red, yellow, blue, and light blue. The red wire has 11 volts even with the key off

Ok, red gets power from the BCM, but it's not the actual power for the blower, we have to try and determine why you don't have any power on the white/green. This is the power for the blower, then the switch provides the ground....so.

There are 4 fuses and one blower relay we have to try and figure out which is the problem.

Were the fuses you replaced in the fuse box under the hood or inside the cabin on the truck?

Fuse box under the hood passenger side

Ok, please check fuse 8 in the box inside the truck. This is the power for the blower relay that will get power to the blower once it activates.

I am sending along a diagram of your fuse box inside the truck so you know which fuse to swap.

Please let me know how you make out.

Fuse was OK - replaced with a new one- nothing

Ok,

Next, we need to check for power at the blower motor relay. This is located up under the hood. Pull the relay and check the slots for power. The older relays had numbers on the bottom, I am not sure if this one will or not, but we are looking for power with the key on 3 of the 6 slots with it out. #'s are 1,5 and 7

Please check and let me know.

Thanks.

there is power on 5 of the slots and none on one. Two back slots and three out of the four front ones (like a U shape"

You have power on 5 slots with the relay out and in your hand?

Also, does the relay have small numbers on the bottom of it?

Terminal # ***** has no power 1,3,5,6,7 do
I got the right relay

Did you get the diagram I sent of the right relay? You can't or at least should not have power on any more then 3. 1,5 and 7 with the relay out of the socket.

Went back out and retested with the key on. #1 has 11.7V. #2 has 0.0V, #3 has 10.8V, #5 has 11.7V, #6 has 10.8V, #7 Has 11.7V

Is this with the relay out of the socket?

how else would I be able to check the connections, also with the key off there is power to 3, 5, 6,7 no power to 1 & 2

Ok, first if you have power on 3 and 6 without the relay in, you have a short to power. These wires should not have power without the relay as the relay is the switch that connects #'s 3 and 6 to #'s 7 and 5. This tells me that there is power on 2 wires that should not have any power on them at all, ever, unless you are calling for the blower to work.

Now, #3 and #6 both are the power supply for the white/green stripped wire at the blower. So, you have power that should not be there under the hood, but it's not even making it to the blower under the dash. Somewhere along the way here, you have wires shorted together.

Now, I would ask that you look at the wiring by the parking brake pedal for any signs of damage. I believe there was a wiring harness recall for the BCM harness on this model due to some issues related to the harness hitting the parking brake lever and shorting out. If the truck hasn't been in an accident, then this would be logical.

Please let e know

I don't have a parking brake pedal. I have a pull up lever in the center consul. I'll try looking for some wires. Also could this be from a defective IPDM?

No, the IPDM isn't part of the circuit. there could be an issue with the relay box under the hood. You could take it apart and check for corrosion that might be causing it.

Where is the relay box located/look like?
Would the blower relay be bad now since power was going to 5 of the 6 terminals?

Not likely that it would be bad because it's suppose to put power to all the terminals when you turn on the ignition switch. You have a mess in the wiring somewhere between the relay and the blower motor. It has to be because you actually have power on the white green wires, but nothing inside the truck. The white green should not have any voltage at all with the relay out. Period, so if you have power on the slots for the white/green, you have something powering them up. Since the white/green doesn't have any power inside the truck at the blower, it indicates the wires are broken somewhere between the box and the blower.

Thanks
I'll take it to the garage tomorrow.

You are very welcome and sorry I don't have any better news for you on this.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician