Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Hay Jay I just installed a new IAC and im still getting a

Customer Question
Hay Jay I just installed a...
Hay Jay
I just installed a new IAC and im still getting a P0505 code and it stalls out after giving it gas
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
11/12/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Did you only replace the IAC? not the ECM?

I replaced the Idle Air Control valve

Well, this is going to require the Ecm to be replaced and the IAC again to resolve your issue.

Let me explain..

please do

What happens is this. The IAC has coolant going around the chamber to cool it. So there is a gasket for the IAC. ( Idle Air Control ). When this gasket fails, coolant seeps onto the IAC motors and shorts the winding's that are controlled by the ECM. Once shorted, both need to be replaced. So if you replace the IAC, and not the Ecm since that circuit is damaged in the ECM, It it will damage the new IAC. So what needs to be done to correct this, is to replace the IAC and the ECM both at the same time. Other wise you will never get a head of the issue. Then you will need to reprogram all your keys for your car and have a Idle relearn performed. Keys can be programmed by either a Mobile Tech, Mobile Locksmith or the Dealer.

Understand?

Ok that seems plausible as it was leaking coolant. Now how do I get a new key programed to work with a ecm all at the same time?

Everything needs to be replaced at the same time first. Both the IAC and ECM. Once both are replaced at the same time, re-connect the battery cable and contact a mobile locksmith to come program the keys. Once programmed the car will start. Then I would drive it to the dealer to have a idle relearn done. That will verify the repair and also is necessary to perform after those 2 are replaced

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you are satisfied with my help please Rate me. I hope that I have provided you with excellent service.

Thanks Jay

Now that I have just replaced the IAC what is the likely hood that it has been trashed? I would assume that if it ohms out correctly its still ok?

It is not likely that is ok.

Why is that not likely, if all the ohms are consistent across the legs?

The circuit is damaged in the ECM. That will send incorrect voltage or short out the new IAC. So once the Ecm is damaged, you don't want to even risk damaging the new one. Since I have seen IAC's fail with a simple start of the engine, I would not trust that it is OK.

Then how do I diagnose a bad IAC without having to throw down another 250$? There should be a way to determine if its functioning with out replacing it, shouldn't there?

When you have to replace the ECM and IAC for this issue. I know you don't want to buy another IAC, but after you spend how ever much the ECM is, and the Locksmith to program the keys, you don't want to take a chance that the IAC is bad since you started the car with it. Cause if it was affected by the bad Ecm, that will just put you all the way back to square one. I have seen this to many times. You don't want to take that chance! Trust Me!

I understand that, However that does not answer the question of how to determine if the IAC is bad or not. It is my understanding that there are four coils that should have consistent ohms between pin 1 and 2, 2 and 3, 4 and 5, 5 and 6. Having this consistency would determine if the IAC is still functional or am I missing something?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1a.jpg

You want to be sure the Ohms are with in these ranges a the proper temperature.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician