Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Jay, I have a 2001 nissan frontier, and when I stop at a red

Customer Question
Hey Jay, I have a...
Hey Jay, I have a 2001 nissan frontier, and when I stop at a red light, the rpm,s drop and the engine sputters (I have to put it in neutral sometimes). The service engine soon light is on, and has started blinking.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
10/27/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

I am sorry for the long wait

off idle and driving will it drive fine at speed ?

will the light only come on or blink at idle ? or when driving it the light will blink ?

It will drive fine at speed, but the light is always on. It just started blinking today.

usually when the check engine lights are blinking it means the engine has a misfire in it which can be anything from a vacuum leak to valve timing being off to a spark plug or injector issue causing a misfire

are you planing on fixing this yourself ? or looking for a good idea before it goes into the shop ?

I would like to fix it myself if it's simple, if not, I'll take it in (so I need ideas too). I read that it might be the EGR valve?

it could be but usually would set a code

i would fist make sure there are NO vacuum leaks at all at idle spraying around the top of the engine with some carb cleaner with the little hose on it and see if any area you hit the idle changes or the engine revs up or stalls

if there are NO vacuum leaks at all check the spark plugs and also be sure none of the wires are cut or split or damaged to the spark plugs

Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician