Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 201 Nissan titan 5.6v8. Struggling with an

Customer Question
Customer: Hi roy, I have...
Customer: Hi roy,
I have a 201 Nissan titan 5.6v8. Struggling with an engine misfire.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The vehicle has had an LPG Conversion, Random misfire fault codes stored. Replaced plugs & coils, Also inlet mani seals but still present.
Dropped cats to check for break up/Blockage as well
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: No problem
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/21/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Did you have this misfire before you replaced spark plugs? What brand spark plugs did you install?

Does it run ruff all the time, or only after it warms up?

Plugs were replaced to try & cure the fault, Vehicle runs poorly all the time cold or warm
NGK Plugs were fitted

Two things I have seen cause this. First is the Catts break apart and cause a exhaust restriction. But it looks like you checked for that.

The other is the Fuel pump. It does not put out the proper pressure which can cause running issues and lack of power. To verify it's the fuel pump a fuel pressure gauge would be installed to monitor fuel pressure. It should be around 56 Psi and not drop lower than 35 to 40 psi when accelerating. I did one 2 weeks ago that fuel pressure dropped to 15 psi under acceleration.

Ok , I can check this, The fault occurs even at idle would fuel pressure drop cause this even at idle?

The fuel pump I worked on, had good pressure at idle. But lost it under acceleration. You could have it low at idle causing the misfire. That is one of the basic checks you do with misfire codes.

Hi there, Sorry for delay, Fuel pressure checks out OK, It is worth mentioning this seems to only misfire on one bank. Right side as you sit in it

Do you happen to have a scanner? The only thing I can think of that really may be causing this is maybe a restriction in the exhaust?

The exhaust has been disconnected after the 1st cat, There appears to be no restriction or break up of cat

You didn't do both catts?

The 1st cat appears to be part of the headers? so this has been left in place, Can be taken out if req.

Do you happen to have a scanner to graph 02 sensors? That will tell you for sure if you have a restriction or Catt issue

Unfortunately not

There is only so much you can do with out a scanner. You could have a A/F sensor not operating properly which could be causing a imbalance of fuel trim which can cause a misfire. You also want to monitor intake timing to make sure the sprocket is working properly as well.

I will obtain/borrow one

ok

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Nissan Technician