sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My versa 2011 hatch wont start it makes a gher pitch noise (

Customer Question

my versa 2011 hatch wont start it makes a higher pitch noise ( not clicking noise) and does not turn over even after I have it hooked up to another battery and put in a new starter
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.

what kind of high pitch noise is it making?

the engine is not turning at all correct?

What happened PRIOR to these symptoms? anything significant? the vehicle stall while driving or anything?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the engine does not turn. I left a clients how's and the car did not start. The gauges did moves weirdly when I tried to but it was like the battery did not have enough juice. Got a jump and it was fine drove to my next appointment and the car would not start again but this time a jump would not work. When I try to start the veh it sounds like a hydraulic pressure ( higher pitch sound not clicking) and nothing happens.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

Are the headlamps normal brightness?

Do you have a digital voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When we take the jumper cables off the and try to start it the battery drains out. So at points yes regular brightness but soon dies off if not on jumpers. No I did not own a voltmeter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think it could be a ignition cylinder?

It's not going to be the lock cylinder, you have a battery issue. What you're going to need to do is have the battery load tested and you should find that it fails. Most big chain parts stores such as Autozone will load test batteries for free.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not the battery. Replaced the battery before also replacing the starter. And If it was the battery it would have started with the jump. What else could it be

I wasn't aware that the battery had been replaced but there is definitely an issue there if the battery is dying.

The battery was replaced after this problem started?

Please list all other repairs that have been made or tests one that were not mentioned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The starter and the battery. I thought it was the starter selenoid after the battery was replaced and nothing changed. I then changed the starter and still nothing changed. So I put the old battery back in since it was not the problem. To get power to the veh I hook up jumper cables and I hear humming from the battery and fuse box. That Is the only new thing I have noticed that I did not befor

You no longer have a new battery in place then, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct

If a new battery isn't in place at this time then it can't be ruled out, in any event if you're connecting jumper cables and that's powering the vehicle up then that problem is the battery or connections. There may be more than one problem happening but you without a doubt have a dead battery or poor connection at the battery and that's going to need to be repaired first. Outside of having the battery load tested and making sure the battery terminals are clean and tight, a digital voltmeter at the least will be necessary for electrical testing.