Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

1992 Nissan D21 pick-up, 107,000 miles, 4 cyl, automatic

Customer Question

1992 Nissan D21 pick-up, 107,000 miles, 4 cyl, automatic w/rear wheel drive. Stopped at traffic light. When light changed to Green, truck would not drive in any forward gear or reverse. Added one qt. Dextron fluid. Still wouldn't move. Dip cable shows full. Nissan
dealership mechanic says OK to add another qt. Truck will drive a short distance, less than a hundred yards, then won't drive at all. Towed truck to home. Truck backed off dolly and up driveway just fine. Maintenance records show no fluid or filter changes ever.
If I change the fluid and filter, could this fix the problem?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

I hate to be the one to tell you, changing the fluid and filter is really a myth. The filter is not meant to be serviced, it has a metal screen. It's not a paper type filter that would be changed.

I would say that changing the fluid would be the only thing I would try, but knowing these trucks, I am willing to bet it won't work. But your welcome to try it.

Let me know if you have any more questions on this..