Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2011 Nissan Altima it was in a accident and had

Customer Question
just the driver bag blown.so...
i have a 2011 Nissan Altima it was in a accident and had just the driver bag blown.so i had the front seat belts replaced,air bag module reset,driver air bag used from another car,clock spring new,both front crash sensors replaced.light still stayed on,brought
it in and they said my used one was no good,even though the bag was not blown.so i bought another used bag and put it in and reset the codes,the air bag light went off,went for a ride and about 1/2 mile away light came back on.any help??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
9/30/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Do you know if it's the same code or not?

they didn't say,i have some other shop looking at it

Ok, let me just say that if it is the same code I would suspect the spiral cable. It's pretty uncommon for the air bags to cause the codes in my opinion. Not that they can't, but, if you have 2 bad ones that's pretty rare. I would be more inclined to think there is an issue with the control unit then another airbag.

If you know the code let me know, if not, you can get it and post it with me here tomorrow, but from here and my 2 cents, I would think the module is the most likely culprit.

i had the module reset from myairbag and they said it was tested good,and i used them before without any problems but here is the thing that different with the 2 bags the first one didn't even get the air bag light off at all,but yet the second air bag did but only for a short time,but the light was off

That's why I am curious to know if it's the same code or not. I am not saying the place didn't reset the module, just looking at other possible factors as the air bags aren't common issues.

i see,im not sure the codes,i was just happy to see the second bag actually got ride of the airbag light,but it was short lived until i went for a ride.

I get that :)

It's really why I would like to know the codes if possible. See if the same one showed up and what not.

i don't think i can get them it was over a week ago

Ok, some code readers can get the air bag codes as well. Might try a parts store to see if they can pull them.

is there away to test the bag off the car?

You need special equipment and in most cases what you are testing is the wiring to eliminate it as the problem.. change in resistance is how air bags work. So, you can't test it like normal wiring and what not or you will set them off

ok,well im not sure what to do then as i don't want to buy another bag

You need to get the codes again so you even know if that is the problem.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician