Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

Wondering if there is any story of Nissan Armada's not

Customer Question

wondering if there is any history of Nissan Armada's not shifting into Reverse or Drive
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 18,000 miles already and the dealer is telling me they think it is because of the Remote Start that was put in 7 month and 17,500 miles ago
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

hey there, we see this from time to time.

If the shifter will move from park to drive or reverse normally, but there is no engagement at the transmission, then the linkage might have come loose. The linkage is a lever at the passengers side of the transmission and is held on by a large but at retainer that looks like a castle nut. Check to see if it became disconnected. We see this from time to time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the shifter would not physically work and my wife had to put a key into some small hole to over-ride
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She got it into reverse then Drive but then couldn't get it into Park without having to do the same thing. Then repeat the next day when she had to drive it to the dealer
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Once your wife used the shift lock release (that you referred to as override) and placed the vehicle in gear, did it drive normally.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Ok so the vehicle is actually SHIFTING, once you use the release. The shifter is just not releasing when pressing the brake like its supposed to.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

This is a faulty shift lock release solenoid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Correct
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

First thing you want to check is the brake lamps and see if they are working. Since the brake switch is what tells it to release.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would it have anything at all to do with the Remote Start?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

it "could" be effected by the remote start if the brake switch is wired into the remote start, which it very well may be, but i would check the obvious reasons first since they are more likely to be the fault especially if it was working fine with the remote start earlier.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

So like i said.

Verify the brake lamps work. If they do not, then you need a new brake switch to fix your problem.

If the brake lamps work, then you need to access the shift lock solenoid in the console and simulate power/ground to the terminals and see if it operates, or use a volt meter and check for the power and the ground when pressing brake. If the signals are there, then the solenoid is bad.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

What happens now:

The site charges you the full value of your question.

My goal is to give excellent service (3-5 stars), if for some reason you don't feel as though I have provided it then please just ask more questions until you are satisfied. The site does not compensate me though, until you leave a positive rating.

Follow up on the same question is always free, even after rating.