Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2001 path finder 3.5 cranks no start

Customer Question

2001 path finder 3.5 cranks no start
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Is the security light on solid or flashing when you are cranking the engine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Light is off when cranking
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I am not able to do a phone call at the moment. Can't you tell me if there is spark or if you have checked for it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I try cancelling call anyway aslong he works with text will b good
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

Yep, I can do text here with you without a problem. Need to know about the spark. Pull a coil and set it next to something metal on the engine. When you crank the engine spark should jump from the coil to the engine.

lemme know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Appears theres no spark we sprayed brake clean in intake n cranked it n wont start includin just try again and it smels like gas but its not leaking spoke a lockmith of poss bad chip on ign key n after trying what he sugested he said key is not the problem from what we ve done it appears we dont have spark
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

Ok,

I agree, not a key issue. If the light goes out when cranking then it's not the immobilizer.

Can you please pull a spark plug and see if there is fuel on it or put a noid light in the injector harness to see if there is any injector pulse. Spark and pulse are generated by the same thing so this will tell me if there is a fuel and spark issue or spark only.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok i have cheked inj. Pulse with noid light it is strong n i also have spark but spark looks too weak n it starts sparking like 3to 4 seconds after starts to crank when it craks it does not sound like if it wodnt have compression in other words cranks normal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I also checked spark plug it looks wet n it smells like gas normal for not starting
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

Ok, usually this is a ground issue. Take a meter and make sure the coils, are getting full battery voltage. If they are, then check the black wire for continuity to ground. If the spark is so weak on all the coils that the truck won't run it could be the problem

Also, try cranking in 30 second intervals holing it to the floor. Maybe it's flooded, this should clear it.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi mike i do good batt voltage to coil n have check ground black wire u sugsted it also checks goog could it b possible i have problem with computor n where would it? Is it the one somewhere by shifter under center console?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mike i have checked only one coil for batt voltage n ground seems fine ,hey im i being charged for every text separate (each one) or its all one price till i solve my problem?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

You are only charged one time and until we resolve it and get a positive rating I am not paid.

A computer issue would usually give you no spark at all. Can you try holding the gas to the floor and crank it in 30 second intervals to see if it will at least fire off. Try this like 5-6 times and see how it goes.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well mike it still wont start held gas pedal to floor n crank ,did six+ times n nothing.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

Possible to get a volt meter to check the power wire on the coils?
also, you said you checked one, can we check a couple others for spark?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We also try to read codes but there is no codes possibly cause baat had been dead for a few days it now a new batt i also removed another plug next to the right front one and al
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

I feel like your reply might have gotten cut off, can you resend it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea mike i watrying to tell u that the spark plug i had just removed was also wet with gas i now dont have an assitant to help me crank it to check spark in another cyl. But as soon i can caal u back sorry dont have a .remote starter
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.

No problem at all. It sounds like this truck is very flooded. You should pull the plugs you can and let it sit and air out for a while. Dry the plugs off. I know #5 is under the throttle body so leave that one, the rest are a pain, but I really think you should pull them and let it air out.