Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 and I have been working on

Customer Question
this car for months I...
I have a 2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 and I have been working on this car for months I had to replace crank and camshaft sensors, cleaned fuel injectors, changed spark plugs, valve cover head.the car runs better but is still not 100% fixed.my cars gas mileage went from 23mpg to 18.5 mpg and when I go over 70 for more than say 20 miles when I slow down it feels like a jerk not hard but like its off and when I slow down to idle in drive it vibrates and want to kill I give it gas it doesent kill but gets up slow and after that it will stop until I drive it on interstate the mechanic sayed it might be cat or 02 sensors he said he couldent go further until that was fixed well that would cost a lot so my uncle to it off and cleaned it to see if it was clogged it wasent the precat anyway I really have no more options if you know please help also once my uncle left battery disconnected for a few hours and the mpg went to 23 mpg ran good and stayed there for a few days then startyed to drop and the problem again
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
9/3/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech replied 2 years ago
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech

hi my name is ***** ***** i can help you today id the service engine soon light on in the car ??

THANKS CLIFF ITS PO420

ok and the cat is not broken apart correct ??

i would start by checking the negative battery cable under the battery where it bolts to the trans the cable brake there and cause all kind of problem with the car also check all the motor mount the top one always brake

you should also get the idle relearn do on the car to help with the idle going to low you will need a good scan tool for this so you may need to go to the shop

check that cable and let me know

my uncle looked at it and said it looked okay a little clooged but not much he said would there be noticeably damage to the pre cat or would I need to know what im looking for and I just checked the ground its not loose or anything

di you check to make sure the ground is connected to the trans it brakes right at the trans ??

if the cat is even a little clog it will cause a problem the bottom of the cat or the hold where the top 02 sensor bolt into si a good place to check it . as far the pre cat the holes in it would be clog

it does

what do you mean yes it does not sure ??

its connected to the transmission

ok so get the idle relearn done and let me know if that work

okay could I get that done anywhere like a auto parts place or a mechanic would have to do it and would a bad cat not clogged cat could it cause that problem im having

if the cat is not clog no it will not cause this and you need a shop for the relearn

Clifton B.
Clifton B.
Clifton B., ASE Master Auto Tech