Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

2000 Nissan Altima 2.4 does start or crank. Will start if

Customer Question

2000 Nissan Altima 2.4 does start or crank. Will start if jumped from starter.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no power to ignition terminal on starter when ignition is turned to start. I need a wiring diagram to start check wires, fuses, and relays.
I used to be a GM tech but know nothing of nissian.
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

Ok I' don't have that information so I'll opt out and get someone else involved

good luck

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Is this an automatic or manual?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

HERE is a link for the wiring diagram. Basically you need to make sure you are getting power from the ignition switch over to the relay. If you flip the relay over, it should have small numbers on the bottom. These will match the slots on the wiring diagram.

Please let me know what more I can do to help.