Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

2003 NISSAN MURANO WITH 118,000 MILES -- 4 WEEKS AGO ON A

Customer Question
HOT DAY MY AC STARTED...
2003 NISSAN MURANO WITH 118,000 MILES -- 4 WEEKS AGO ON A HOT DAY MY AC STARTED TO STEAM A LITTLE
-- 3 DAYS AFTER THAT A ODER STARTED IN THE CAR -- THEN A HEAVY MOLD SMELL STARTED -- WE TOOK THE CAR TO OUR DEALER WHO WE BOUGHT IT FROM NEW AND THEY CHANGED THE IN CABIN AIR FILTER AND DID A CHI CHI IONIZATION TREATMENT -- THAT WORKED FOR A DAY OR TWO -- THEN MOLD SMELL CAME BACK WORSE THAN EVER -- I TRIED BLEACHING THE IN CABIN AIR FILTER THINKING IT WOULD KILL ANY MOLD IN THE AC VENTS -- ONLY WORKS FOR A FEW HOURS -- EVERY DAY THE SMELL GETS WORSE -- HELP
TIM M
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/26/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Ted G., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician

Hi Tim, back in the day we used to have really good luck doing the following. Run the AC system on medium speed and without the recirculation button on. Now spray unscented Lysol down into the cowl where the AC system pulls outside air from. It may take a couple of applications but it usually works. In extreme cases the HVAC box has to be removed and cleaned. You also need to make sure the evaporator drain is completely clear, I would hope the dealer would have checked that because a blocked drain is normally what starts it all. Don't use scented Lysol because it will end up being overpowering in the cab-don't ask me how I know.

It turned out to be the drain line inside the passanger side dash board had shrunk and broke causing all the water to drain under the carpet. Into the insulation. The dealer wanted to replace the whole sunroof package for $1200 plus labor and replace the carpet in the front of the car for $1680 --- they offered me $1500 as a trade in on a new Murano. I walked and took it to a sunroof and glass company and they fixed it for $85.00. Steam cleaned the carpet and replaced the padding for $100. Total cost $185.00. The dealer really wanted to rip me for $2880 + labor. Sad I bought the car new from them -- They always serviced it
Anyways thank you for your answer

Wow, that's a terrible story. It is unfortunate that the quality of help in the industry has gone down so far. Glad you got it fixed as well as you did.

Ted G.
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician