Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My 2004 Maxima goes into limp mode frequently, where it

Customer Question
loses throttle response and won't...
My 2004 Maxima goes into limp mode frequently, where it loses throttle response and won't go over 2000 rpm. Sometimes if I shut it off, it will run normally on restart. It also has a "Weak throttle response" mode. Throttle body has been replaced four times, the last time with a new Hitachi. Also replaced accelerator pedal assembly. Each time a part was replaced, it ran fine for a while, but then went back.... Engine code involves voltage A ...voltage B...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
8/25/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the engine is running? Do you know what the code number is ***** your getting?

If you are getting APP sensor codes, I may know what your issue is.

Let me know.

I also offered you additional service if you like. This way we can speak about your issue. It's another option if you would like to do that. Other wise we could continue here if you like also.

P2135 engine code

That is a Throttle Position code.

Where did you buy these throttle chambers you installed?

My mechanic put in remanufactured ones, I believe. I ordered the Hitachi from partsgeek
My mechanic also "repaired" the wiring to the throttle body wiring connector. I took it to him about 4 times for this problem
I have to go out for a bit. I will look for your reply and respond in about 20 minutes.

Oh, that could be part of the problem. After Market electronic throttle chambers never work right.

What was wrong with the wiring?

I'm not sure about the wiring.
It was my understanding that the hitachi was identical to oem.

No.. everyone thinks that, but they are not.

Can you find out what he had to repair as far as the wiring?

I believe he found it wasn't making contact at the connector to the throttle body and spliced in some new wire.
I was thinking it might be a good idea to replace that connector and wiring with oem, but my local dealer said he couldn't get it.

It was a problem with the connector?

I don't see connector issues to often on these cars.

I would see if you can get a throttle chamber from the dealer. When you get these reman Throttle chambers from auto parts stores, they use the OEM housing where it says Hitachi, but the internals are far from it.

I bought the hitachi new, or represented as new

where did you buy it? Can you return it?

partsgeek.com
it has been a while...don't know if i can return...many months

Yeah... I have seen cars come in to the dealer so many times with After Market electrical parts and had to put OEM parts in to correct issues like this.

I would say maybe around 6 months ago, a customer came into the dealer with a 03 Altima V6, where he replaced the throttle chamber and was still getting codes and couldn't perform the idle relearn. I looked at it, and saw it was after market. I put a OEM one on and took the after market one off, cleared all the codes, performed the idle relearn, and car has not been back since.

Is that the same code you keep getting?

I need to step out for a few. Can we continue this conversation on this in about a hour or so?

I'm not sure, only read the code once.
okay, later
The relearn seemed to work fine...
But this same problem for about two years.... sitting unused alot

Thank you for waiting.

How many times has it been to the shop for this issue? Has it been the same shop?

It was in several times:
1. Replaced throttle body.
2. Then, wiring
3. Replaced throttle body.
4. Much later, 4th time...did entire Nissan diagnostic proceedure...replaced throttle body.
Then, later, I bought and installed the new Hitachi.

So if the wiring and everything is good, then it sounds like it has to be the throttle chambers you are getting. Which does not surprise me.

How long does it normally take for the code to return once it's cleared?

When new parts (throttle body, pedal) were installed, it would run right for a while, maybe a couple of weeks. Then, limp mode and cel.
Last was new pedal....the more I have driven it since then, the more often it is limping.
But, still runs right sometimes.

Why did you replace the pedal? Did you have a code for it?

Guy at parts store who read the code for me said that was probably the pedal.
So, if I order a throttle body from Nissan and same problem persists after it is installed, do you think they will take it back?

If you have the dealer install it and do the relearn, you have a 1 year or 12 mile warranty on the part and labor. So if the dealer was to look at this, and replace the throttle chamber for you, they would then be liable for this if the code returned.

But I know the dealer is expensive. But if the issue continues, wiring would need to be checked, and it could possibly be a Ecm issue.

Yeah, I have been concerned about the ecm/ecu possibility...expensive.
After the second throttle body, I took it to the dealer. He said, "no problem, we will just reprogram it." $150 later, "your car is ready." Couple weeks later, same problem. Dealer say, "hey, not my fault, reman throttle body." So, I guess I need to find the next closest dealer...

See, they blamed the throttle chamber also. I would get a throttle chamber from the dealer. Have the idle relearn done and go from there. After Market electrical parts can't be trusted to work properly

Engine codes.com lists these possible causes for P2135 for '04 maxima:
- Faulty Electric Throttle Control Actuator (TP sensor 1 and 2)
- Electric Throttle Control Actuator harness is open or shorted
- Electric Throttle Control Actuator circuit poor connection
- Faulty Accelerator Pedal Position SensorRead more: http://engine-codes.com/p2135_2004_nissan_maxima.html#ixzz3k1Vai8zWI'm not seeing the throttle body, but I do see wiring and pedal. It is triggered by variance in two TPS voltages. Are the throttle position sensors in the throttle body?

The throttle chamber has all those tp sensors built into it. That link is incorrect to say that the accelerator pedal is part of the issue. This link I am giving you is right out of the factory service manual.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1d.jpg

You need to start by replacing the throttle chamber with one from the dealer.

Is the wiring connector that connects to the throttle body available from the dealer already wired up? If so, I think I'd like to replace it before I take the car for service? Can you get me a part number?

It is not. It would only come with the whole EGI Harness. If you would like to replace that connector you would need to go to a salvage yard and snip it off a old harness.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Thanks for all your help, Jay.
OK, I looked into the "rewiring" that my mechanic did. I removed the electrical tape that he applied from the connector at the throttle body to about 4 or five inches back. It looks like all of the wires, I guess six of them, are bundled in a ridged plastic "conduit." Then, inside of that they seem to be bundled in pairs inside of typical plastic insulation, with each member of the pair in its own colored insulation (green, yellow, etc).But, without stripping back that outer insulation any further, it looks like there is bare silver-colored wire, maybe braided, wrapped around the pair within that outer insulation, perhaps for shielding? This has just been jumbled up , leaving the last inch or two from the connector uncovered. It looks like this shielding wire from one pair would have been contacting that for another pair inside the tape he wrapped. Would you just tape it back up, wrapping all six as he did? would you try something like aluminum foil, or perhaps braided wire (from where, hardware store?) to rewrap the pairs and tapre them in pairs before taping the whole thing back up?
I bough a scan tool and I also have these codes: P0123, P0223, for high input voltages on A and B of TPS/pedal. And P1122
yep, sure looks like shielding. But must have terminated somewhere before connector, because the wires cross each other before it.
Not three pairs of wires, but a one (green, black) a pair, and a trio).

I will be online later this evening..

I wrapped each of the three bundles in Al foil and covered with electrical tape. Reset the ecu/ecm; normal operation for two days, about 6 trips of a few miles to twenty miles.
Recently it had been limp mode most of the time.

You redid the shielded wire on the harness and it seems to be good?

Well, like I said, I wrapped them in foil and electric tape.
But, who knows...in a few days I may be back where I was.
Might be just unplugging and resstting that had effect.
It seemed every time a fix was applied (replace throttle body or pedal) it would be good for a while and then degrade.
Odd thing is I can see any splices or other fixes he did, he just peeled back the shielding as far as I could tell.

i do know of some throttle issues. but normally it sets App codes. Lets see how the repair works out and let me know..

ok, will do.
Would you think peeling back that shielding wire for a couple inches from the coonector would have any effect?
Another odd thing was a LOT of like...silicon gel inside the connector. Conductive paste maybe? I scraped it out with screwdriver blade.

That silicone keeps everything tight together with in the harness.

Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician