Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Replaced batt and alt not charging 12 volts at battery

Customer Question
running no power at white...
Replaced batt and alt not charging 12 volts at battery running no power at white wire on alt plug batt light does not come on when you turn the key
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
8/19/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

There should be 2 white wires, do either have any power?

One big white wire at plug power probed white wire no change
Checked fuses all ok no battery light when turn key
Changed bulb in battery light

Ok, I need you to take a look at the fusible links. It sounds like one of them is burned out. This is a black wire for the alternator.

Also, check fuse #11 inside the cab. This is a 10 amp fuse, make sure it's getting power with the key on. The light completes the circuit so the alternator will charge. If it's not coming on then the alternator will not be "turned on" so it can charge.

If the bulb is blown, then it has to be replaced so it will turn the alternator on. Please check this and let me know.

If fuse 11 has power with the key on and you already changed the bulb, the issue might be the instrument cluster itself or the wiring from the fuse box. We will need a test light to check this out or volt meter.

Where is fuse able located

It's a set of wires out on the positive battery cable or it leads directly to it. This model year uses wires, this will be in a slot with a black and a green. They supply power to the white wire at the alternator and a white/black. Maybe you will see them coming out of the fusible link box.

Still checking replaced bulb with a 94 does bulb make a difference

It should not make a difference. It seems like a possible fusible link to me because you don't have any voltage on the white wire, but it's also very important to have the light come on. If you can check and make sure fuse 11 has power with the key on it's a good place to start. This is the top row, all the way to the right according to the diagram I have.

Checked fuses all have power to both sides when replaced alt had trouble with plug is not hiring prongs in alt will I still have power at white wire

According to the wiring diagram that white wire gets direct power from the battery, according to the wiring diagram there are 2 though, a large one that goes on the large terminal, then a smaller one that should go in the plug, the same plug will also have a yellow/black stripped wire. This wire should have power with the key on, but won't if the bulb isn't lighting. You could try just running a ground in the end of the plug for the y/b wire and see if the light then kicks on. If it does, then the issue has to be poor connection or bad alternator

Still working no power to white wire at plug power probed white wire still not charging power probed other wire new no light on dash going to pull alt tomorrow check plug very hard to find you again
If plug is out still should have power at the White wire
Sorry for bothering you

It should still have a constant power at the white, I agree. I think you may have to use your meter and go right to the fusible links and check the white wire up there by the battery to see if there is power there. If there is, then you know the wire is broken between there and the alternator. If there isn't any power there, then replace the fusible link.

The reason I want to have you ground the yellow/black is to see if the light will then come on. If it does, it will let us know a few things. First, the bulb is good, second the wiring from the fuse box all the way to the alternator is in good shape.

This is not a bother at all, it's what you are paying me to do :)

I don't get paid until you rate though, so at some point please do. We can continue even after you rate my answer, so don't worry.

Got plug out no power to white grounded yellow and black wire battery light does come on
Ok check that next thank you for working with me

You're very welcome. Hopefully this is the problem and the wiring is not broken somewhere between them and the alternator. Did you get the image I sent?

Do you need further assistance?

If not, please be sure to rate one of my answers.

Thanks so much!!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician