Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

What happen if the bcm lock?

Customer Question

what happen if the bcm lock?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

What is the car doing ? Not starting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not letting the key to be programmed
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You are trying to program the key? Do you have the correct decoded pin? What is your 5 digit BCM pin and what 4 pin did you decode it to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well not me
a locksmith did all that and when he got the codes and tray to program the key the computer was saying incorrect code. he say that to many tray with wrong key lock the bcm. that I need to take care of that issue before he can program the key
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the 5 digit BCM pin, and do you know the 4 digit pin the locksmith was trying to enter?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I can decode the 5 digit bcm pin and see if it decodes to the correct 4 digit pin or compare it to see if he was using the correct pin and that is why it was saying incorrect pin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is gone now...but can a lock bcm couse the key to not program? and if so what can I do to resolve this
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If the incorrect pin is used, it won't program. If the incorrect steps are done, it won't program.

Were you there watching him?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is pretty good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need to know if replacing the bcm will help me resolve this problem
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you recall him turning the hazards on to perform steering lock release first? If he skipped that step and went right to programming keys, even if you enter the correct pin, it won't accept it unless steering lock release is done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I recall that and holding the little switch on the side of the door
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
then he did the reading again got the same two code (new and old)and got the same results
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Holding the switch on the side of the door. You don't need to touch that.

I do know that when you decode the BCM 5 digit pin, you get two 4 digit codes. The first code is for 08 and older. The second is 09 and up. So I wanted to see if he was entering the correct pin.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Let me say this. If it's a BCM issue and it won't accept the proper pin following the proper steps you can't just replace it. You need to save the BCM configuration and copy it to the new BCM. Then after you write the configuration from the old Bcm to the New one, then you can work on programming the keys. Once you program the keys, then you will also need to reprogram all the tire pressure sensors.

The BCM is not something you can just replace and expect to work. It has to be properly configured for the car first.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I was hoping you could maybe find out what your BCM 5 digit pin is and the 4 digit pin he was using so I can check that for you.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This is very uncommon for it not to take key programming.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you ever herd the bcm been lock?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any other problem will have the bcm not to program the key with the correct code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
haw can tou tell if the bcm is bad?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How many keys do you have? did he try the other key?

It's pretty tricky to determine if the BCM is bad or not. If you were able to give me all the pins I could answer you better. Most common is the incorrect pin is read off the BCM and decoded.

Did he use the scanner to do the pin read or did he take the number off the BCM?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I don't like simply condemning a BCM with out getting the proper information. That is why I keep inquiring on it.

the thing about this is, if he did the steering lock release first, the ignition should come on. The Steering lock release operation is the first steps in programming keys. If he did not do this, and went right to programming keys, it will never let you even if the pin is correct.

The Steering lock release almost always works. The only time it has not is when the 5 digit pin is decoded wrong.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok...so what will be your recommendation at this point? I don't have any keys and yes he use a scanner
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If possible, I would like it if you can get me the 5 digit pin read. Then the 4 digit code he used. I want to decode the 5 digit pin read myself to see if the pin he was using is correct.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I need to get off line for the night. I will be online for a short period of time tomorrow morning if you have any more questions on this.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't kmow..I will have to call him back unless is a way for me to get it. so this is looking like dealer job?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to call him back...can I get the code my self?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it was late and I needed to get off line.
The Bcm is located behind your meter assemby. The only way to get the 5 digit pin, and it is only a 50/50 shot that it's there, sometimes the Bcm 5 digit pin is on the Bcm.
I can wait till you talk to your locksmith if you like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now if I get the 5 digits code then what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's ok about last night. ..it was late!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Then I would decode it and you can see if the locksmith was using the correct decoded digit pin.