Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

This is marshal! I have an 03 xterra and the ac isn't

Customer Question
Hey this is marshal! I have...
Hey this is marshal!
I have an 03 xterra and the ac isn't working properly.
I drive it for a while and it works..but after 20 minutes it shuts off.i have to turn it off and turn it back on for it to work.sometimes it won't turn back on and no matter how many times I click the button..it's not clicking the clutch in gear.ive heard it's the thermistor,or a drain clogged up.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
8/11/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

Can you look at the compressor when it's working and tell me if it's cycling on and off or just staying on please?

It's staying on and works fine but than if I turn it off..it won't come back on.or it just shuts off after being on 20min

Ok, so it's not cycling on and off like it should.

Can you tell me how long the truck has to be sitting in order for the a/c to start working again?

Example, you drive it 20 minutes the a/c shuts off. Can you just restart the truck and have it work or does the truck have to sit for an extended period?

I would have to turn off the car or turn the switch for for 10min for it to kick back in.the truck would have to sit there for a while for it to work again

Ok, one last test for me and sorry for being a pain in the butt with this!!

Can fire it up and make sure you have water draining outside of the truck. It basically sounds like the evaporator is freezing up. This is usually what happens when the compressor doesn't turn off. This indicates the evap temp sensor in the evaporator core is the problem.

Please check and let me know.

I have to step out for a few minutes, but will get right back to you asap!

Yeah it is dripping when the car is on.i heard that's what it could be but wasn't sure.i had to open it up and see.i saw somewhere where there was a way to test it.

Ok, if it's dripping then it's not freezing up. This is a good thing because it pretty much indicates to me that the thermistor inside the evap is ok.

So, the burning question is why the a/c compressor isn't cycling. Since the compressor isn't cycling, that leads me to the pressure sensor. The compressor is probably producing to much pressure and the switch is turning it off. Which it is suppose to do. The real problem is no way to test this without gauges on the line to see just how high the pressure is getting. I suspect the dual pressure switch is the culprit here.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Where is the dual pressure switch!??
This has been a pain to figure out.
How would that be the problem!?

If the pressure is getting to high because the switch isn't cycling the compressor it will turn off the compressor until the pressure drops. If it's sticking on, then it's going to give you this issue.

It's mounted on the driver side of the condenser.

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician