Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

My 2010 G37 won't start. Just changed to a new battery.

Customer Question
My 2010 G37 won't start...
My 2010 G37 won't start. Just changed to a new battery. Service Engine Soon light (solid yellow) has been on for a couple of weeks. Step on brakes, dash lights up but nothing happens when I push the start button - no crank, no click.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
This problem happened yesterday as well - before I changed the battery. After driving for an hour we stopped for 5 minutes, came out to the car and it wouldn't start (same symptoms). Waited and tried for 5 minutes and it started. Then this morning the same thing happened but it wouldn't start at all. And when it started, it was a normal start. No cranking or effort, it was as is a switch turned on and it started right up.
One refinement, just tried again and there is a faint single click when I press the Start button but no cranking and no ignition. I also have to press Start again to turn off the dash lights.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/10/2015
Nissan Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. There are 2 common issues for this. Either the brake switch or the starter itself. When you step on the brakes do the rear brake lights come on?

I also meant to add that you have to check for brake light operation when the vehicle is not starting.

Sorry, my first post did not go through. The 2 common problems for this no start are the brake switch or the starter. When the vehicle is not starting, when you step on the brake pedal, do the brake lights come on?

Will check now
The brake lights do come on.
Would a starter issue trigger the Service Engine Soon light? Perhaps the ECU or another sensor? Thanks.

Ok. typically the starter would not set the check engine light. COuld be unrelated. You can have the code checked with a scan tool. Also is the vehicle starting now?

Not starting and my dealer is sort of far. Is the starter accessible for DIY replacement and if not, can this be done by a non-Nissan/Infiniti mechanic?

You can replace the starter yourself. But what would be a good idea is to verify that voltage is getting to the starter before replacing it. There are 2 wires on the starter. There is a larger wire which should have power all the time. The smaller wire, should only have power when the button is pushed to START the car. You can check for power with a test light.

I can get the workshop manual instructions in pdf format if you need. I can send you an offer for the instructions through Just Answer if you would like. Just let me know. THanks.

Thank you for viewing my response. Please let me know if you have more questions and please rate my service. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician