Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

Have a 2004 nissan sentra 1.8l with a rough idle hard start

Customer Question

have a 2004 nissan sentra 1.8l with a rough idle hard start and high fuel trims have a p1273 code. changed air fuel, maf, crank, cam sensors, spark plugs. any ideas
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Clifton B. replied 2 years ago.

hi do the car idle rough all the time or just right after start up ???

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all the time. it may get slightly better when engine is warmed up. it gets worse in gear (pretty noticeable vibrations at stop lights etc..) i am kinda wondering if it way be a fuel problem however engine runs fine at higher rpms.

is the service engine soon light on and if so did you scan the car for a code ??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a p1273 code which I did mention in my first message. Please read over which parts have also been changed. That way it will save us time by not asking questions that have already been answered. I also did the relearn procedure after changing all parts.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Hello, the original expert that was helping you opt'd out, so I will be helping you with this Question.

My name is***** may ask you some questions to get a better understanding of your issue, and remember the option for additional service is available as well if you feel more comfortable speaking with me about your issue.

First thing I would like to know, with all the parts you installed, where did you buy them? Also, do you have any codes right now?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Jay all parts are oem except air fuel sensor. I was told by you previously to change the maf sensor. Pulling the connec tor off and watching fuel trim go to -25 verifies I have no vacuum leak. Anyway your last advice was to drive it around and see if it relearn then you mentione it may be a bad air fuel sensor. I realize that was not oem and nissan vehicles can be fussy about it. Right now I'm going to have car smoke tested to check for vacuum leaks and have fuel pressure tested. Any advice
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

maybe a fuel pressure test as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well rough idle and high fuel trims are still present after changing maf sensor. So I'm wondering what else you recommend. Problem still exists so leaving a rating would be very premature at this time. What else do you recommend.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

What are the fuel trim readings?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Short term varies from 16 to 25. Long term 0 to 9
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Ok.. The car is running lean. If you replaced the MAF sensor, I would do a Fuel pressure Test and see what your fuel pressure is, and see if that is your issue.

Did you replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
replaced it as advised by you in an earlier conversation. problem still is present.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why am i being asked to rate you when problem is still present.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I don't know why it is asking to rate. Maybe cause of the previous expert.
I am still here to help. So were you able to do the fuel pressure test?