Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, worked in auto industry for 22 years on engine, transmission and suspension design
12772297

I have a 1991 300zx non turbo. Just replaced the alternator,

Customer Question

I have a 1991 300zx non turbo. Just replaced the alternator, but the battery is not charging. I have not checked all the fuses yet. Is there anything I should check?
Category: Nissan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Extended history of vehicle: Replaced motor 2 months ago, replaced sparkplugs 2 months ago, replaced power transistor unit 2 months ago, replaced alternator (remanufactured) 2 days ago, replaced battery 2 days ago.Vehicle stars with a set of jumper cables, and after removing cables it idles fine. Car dies when turning on lights or moving the car backwards or forwards while in gear.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

Hello

I'd first check the easy things like is the boot light or any other interior light staying on then check that the main battery connections are tight and in good condition also check the earth strap to the engine / gearbox.

Next I'd check the current drain aspect, the best way to find what circuit is causing the excessive currant drain is to fit a current sensing multimeter in series with the positive battery lead on the car and the battery, or use a current clamp meter on the battery positive cable.

A typical current drain with everything off and un-alarmed should be around 0.05Amp and if its higher than this remove a fuse and re-measure, if measurement doesn't change then replace the fuse and remove the next.

Once you've isolated the circuit with the excessive drain check the wiring connections and plugs to components and the wiring harness that runs by the engine bay fuse box - the wiring harness chaffs / rubs through and gets damaged - but its not always easy to see so be careful when checking..

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hi
do you still need help