Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2006 Titan 4wd LE making whining noise which raises pitch

Customer Question

2006 Titan 4wd LE
making whining noise which raises pitch when rpm's increase. seems to be coming from under the engine. showed up after towing an RV trailer.
also making a clacking noise on initial start up which subsides a few seconds later but reappears on hard acceleration.
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Will it make this whining noise at idle reving the engine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Any chance you can take a video clip so I can hear it?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

If you open the hood can you tell if it sounds like it's the front of the engine or towards the back of the engine??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need an email address or phone number to send you the audio clip
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a drop box? or can you upload it to You Tube and copy and paste the link back here so I can watch it?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Personal contact is against our terms and services unless done through additional service.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately no, is there a way to attach the file to the reply box?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

You can try, I don't know if it will accept a video file.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Dropbox is free to sign up for. If you could sign up, copy the file to the public folder, then right click and select Copy Public link and then come back here and Paste, I would then be able to view the file.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

file:///Users/macuser/Downloads/IMG_0722.MOV

can you view this?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Let me try.. Hang on..

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

No, it's not working.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

https://youtu.be/kquaL2U-skE

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Got it that time! Thank you..

This is what I heard. When you started it, It sounds like your Exhaust Manifolds may be leaking. That is that Clacking noise. The other noise sounds like the trans pump. How many miles are on the truck?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 240k.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Wow! Got some mileage on that truck. Well it sounds like you may have a trans issue causing that whining noise. With that kind of mileage, you have to be careful what you pull. Which could be why your trans pump is whining.

What I would recommend is to have a trans shop take a look at this or dealer. Hopefully it's just the trans pump that would need to be replaced.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

you mentioned being careful about what i pull. can you elaborate about what would be appropriate to pull and what wouldn't? the two things i have pulled are a mid sized box style vacation trailer and a large pop up tent trailer. both of which i would assume are well within the trucks' capabilities.

should i consider replacing the truck at this point?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

When you have that kind of mileage. The transmission is more sensitive to strain. I have a 1994 Plow truck. I take it easy plowing cause I don't want to strain the transmission. I have a car trailer, but I would not use that truck to pull anything in risk of damaging the transmission.

So with over 200k miles, the transmission is not at strong to pull a heavy weight. That is why your front pump is making noise. It was straining to pull which now your hearing the pump whining.

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Understand?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i responded to this yesterday but maybe you didn't get it. what would a trans pump cost to repair?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I must have missed that

It all depends if the pump has start to come apart and is contaminating the whole transmission with metal. The transmission would need to be removed. That is around a 5 to 6 hour job. Before that the trans pan is dropped and inspected for metal shavings. Then the trans is removed and if it's just a pump, that is around 600 in with parts and labor with the trans out. But based on the mileage you have, if the trans is coming out, you will never find a tran guy do just a pump with that many miles. The only way they would guarantee their work is to do a rebuild. Or the cheapest is to get a used unit with lower mileage.

So figure if you can find a used transmission for around 1k dollars with around 70k on it. with the labor you would be around 1900 with the cost of trans, labor and taxes. If you get a rebuilt Trans, figure that is around 3k or more.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok, got it. other than the whining noise, what would be the next logical symptom be that would show up? if i didn't get it looked at or fixed what should i expect?

Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

You can expect the transmission to fail on you if you don't do anything. The Clacking from the exhaust manifolds, that will get louder over time as the manifolds crack more. Once a crack has developed, the constant heat and cooling of the exhaust will just make the crack get bigger.

Thanks Jay!