Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Experience:  20+yrs experience with Nissan & Infiniti Trained & Certified.Currently still working for Dealer
10181755

2008 Nissan Rogue auto transmission while on the ghway using

Customer Question

2008 Nissan Rogue auto transmission while on the highway using cruise control, suddenly revs to 6000 rpm and none of the gears work, won't go forward or back
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

How many miles do you have on your car and when it's running, do you have a Service Engine Soon light on?

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
171,000 miles , no light is not on
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well, if you have no forward or reverse gears, you are most likely dealing with a internal transmission failure. Based on the mileage you have, you are of course out of warranty. These transmissions can not be rebuilt. The require special tools to build them that dealers do not have or Transmission shops. So you would need to either replace the transmission with a used unit, or a reman unit from the dealer to resolve your issue.

To verify your transmission failure, a transmission pressure test would need to be performed. Either the torque converter or the trans pump has failed which is not allowing fluid to build pressure in the trans to engage forward or reverse gears for you.

I know this is not the answer you want to hear. I don't like giving customers bad news like this. But this is your issue I am afraid.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any chance it is a computer control problem, and is it worth trying to disconnected the battery and reconnect it to reset the computer.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The transmission control unit is built inside the transmission. So even if it was a Transmission control unit issue, the transmission would need to be replaced. Besides, if it was a electrical issue, you would have a Service Engine Soon light on with codes. If it's a mechanical failure, you would have no codes.

Your welcome to try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins to do a hard reset. You may even find the transmission works when it's cold. But fails after it warms up.

Either way, it sounds like it is a mechanical transmission failure. Sorry.

Thanks Jay!