Jake
Jake, Nissan Technician
Experience:  Experienced collision repair technician, Pulaski Tech graduate and DSM hobbyist.
20440119

I have a nissan murano 2006 S awd. i went to the shop

Customer Question

Hello, i have a nissan murano 2006 S awd. i went to the shop for a sticker inspection which i did not pass, the mecanic told me it has the front tires in very bad shape. i told them to buy new front tires and they did so. When i left the shop i notice the AWD light on but i though the pressed the button by mistake and that it will go off eventually, that didnt happen. To make the history short shortly ahead the car broke down on me and now the diagnostic is that the transmission is broken. Then i realized the front tires the the shop replaced were 235/55R18 instead of the 235/65R18 that the car had. this new tires were a lot smaller. My question to you is if this error by the shop was the cause of the AWD light coming on and never off ? i know now that i was not supposed to drive it like under that conditions but also this car never showed that light on before. I need to be sure of the cause of this. Thank you
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Well first off, non matching tires on these AWD Muranos o cause problems. Most of those problems consist of transfer case and differential issues though, not the CVT transmission itself.

The different size tires MAY have triggered the light, but if the light was on before you even started driving it off their lot then that's less likely if all they did was drive it out of the bay.

What were the symptoms when the car broke down on you? what happened exactly please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i heard a very loud sound in the back, followed by more noises and the car was very difficult to drive , it felt like something was broken. i called AAA and had it towed back to the shop, they did the diagnosis of a bad transmission. i have it hard to bealive that it has nothing to do with the tires, i never had issues before with this car, it was in perfect shape. Ive been told that if i drive the car with the AWD on for more than a normal time if will damage the tramsmission, that is not true?
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

A loud sound in the back of the vehicle does not really sound transmission related to be honest. Sounds more like a rear differential or prop shaft issue. Granted it could be an issue with the CVT, but they usually whine or howl or something of that nature when they start to fail. Then your unable to accelerate all together usually.

Since I am not with the car though, I would have to assume they made the right diagnosis. If the car happens to have low mileage (under 120,000 miles) then the transmission is covered under the CVT warranty extension.

While I have seen different size tires cause damage to transfer cases, I have not seen the CVT itself take damage first. So in order to build a case you need to see if the transfer case failed.

Let me know how else I can help please.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now im more confuse than ever. what you are telling me is totally different as what the mecanic told me. now that you mention, i did a oil change and replaced the rear differential fluid on my way after leaving the shop. you think this might affected the tramsmission too? its something so simple
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how i know if i qualify for the CVT extended transmission warranty? My car is 2006 nissan murano with 69k miles
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

if the rear diff is not damaged then it wouldn't have had any effect on the CVT failing.

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

you can have your VIN checked to verify the purchase date with a dealership.

but the CVT warranty extension is for 10years/120,000 miles to ALL murano owners up till 2010. every owner in that year range

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

you may be close on the 10year limit, but with that low of mileage Nissan would likely honor it regardless of it it was over or not.

call 1-800-nissan1

Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

if it is the CVT, should be a free repair for you on this one.

Glad you came here to ask about it.

If you need anything else let me know, if not just be sure to leave a kind RATING please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you Jake!!
Expert:  Jake replied 2 years ago.

Your welcome, please be sure you leave a rating!