Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Trying to program 2003 m45 key

Customer Question
Trying to program 2003 m45 key
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
8/1/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Mike V., Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician

Hi there,

Are you trying to program the key or the key fob?
Also, will the key turn if you just put it in once and try to turn it?

I'm trying to program the FOB it's a replacement I have a key but the key the came with the fOb is not to my car

Ok, well you have to use the key that is for your car or you could set off the immobilizer. Disregard the key that isn't yours, you don't need it.

Use your old key and the new fob and you should be able to get it into programming mode.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

I called a locksmith he told me that even if he cuts the metal portion of the key to fit my car and reinstated into the knob itself that is still wouldn't work that I need a computer to replace my key but when I looked it up it said that the knob with replaceable and all I had to do was follow certain steps by placing it in the ignition

You cannot reprogram the key yourself. It has to be registered with the computer using software either the locksmith should have or the dealer. I thought you were trying to program the keyfob for the remote locks. This is why I asked if you were trying to program the key or the keyfob in the beginning.

I am trying to program the knob I bought a replacement knob because I lost my original key andso I bought the replacement so can the replacement be use it all

Well first off, you will have to have it cut to work, second it will then need to be reprogrammed because the key is a chip key.

for the reprogramming will I be able to do that myself or would that have to be done at the dealership with just putting the knob in the ignition 6 takes times

The programming will have to be done by the dealer. The scan tool is required and some special code has to be put into that in order to break into the security system just to program the key. It's a royal pain.

well could you take a guess at how much is going to cost with me having the replacement fob

MY dealership would normally charge a half hours labor to do the programming, so maybe $50-$100 tops

Do you need further assistance with this?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician