Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2000: Codes p0174 and p0171 are popping up on my nissan sentra.

Customer Question

Codes p0174 and p0171 are popping up on my nissan sentra. I know nothing about cars and from what I researched it's most likely an intake leak? Help a girl out please lol
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved. What type of vehicle? Does it seem to run fine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a 2000 nissan sentra, I just recently got the revolution sensor replaced because my car was getting stuck in first gear. But sometimes when I start my car up after having it sit for a few hours it kind of like putt putts for a few seconds and then it's fine. Meaning like stauhls/hesitates but that's it. I figured it was because of the revolution sensor code as well. I just really need to get it inspected but I want to fix what's wrong first. Does my gas cap not being on completely have anything to do with these codes coming up? It doesn't click all the way when I put it on
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Does vehicle seem to have all the power it should when accelerating hard?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not necessarily it revs up a little more then I think it should before switching gears, sometimes when I'm at a complete stop the little red hand on the rpm thing goes up and down
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
The common problem is a failed mass airflow sensor which is about a $350 job at the shop. Other possible problems is a vacuum leak such as intake gasket or weak fuel pump. A loose gas cap would not cause this code. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So in other words I would have to take it to the shop regardless to figure out which one of those things is wrong, right ?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
That is correct. You could just replace the mass airflow sensor yourself since it is about a 90% the problem but you would be taking a guess and risk being wrong. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if I were to do it myself and it wasn't the problem it wouldn't mess anything else up would it ? It would just be a waste of money right ? Lol
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
That would be correct so the safe bet would be paying shop to do testing before replacing. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
God I should just become a mechanic myself with all the stuff that goes wrong with my cars, thank you you're awesome
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
That was one of the things that made me decide to be one lol. Let me know if you end up running into questions. Thanks again and have a good night!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I'm on the same track if another dang thing goes wrong lol and no thank you, ***** ***** a good night as well !
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry actually one more question, if I tried to clean the sensor first would that do me any good? From what I read people are saying to try and clean it first
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
They do have mass airflow sensor cleaner which you can buy from your local parts store for around $5. Spray the sensor and let it dry. It usually doesn't help but definitely worth a try before spending the money to replace. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay that was the last question I promise ! Thank you have a good one !
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** you! Let me know how it turns out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do (:
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I'm getting offline so if you have more questions I'll reply tomorrow. I need to be last to reply until then or website notifies me of someone waiting.