Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Nissan altima: I have a 2001 nissan altima gxe standard transmission.

Customer Question
I have a 2001 nissan...
I have a 2001 nissan altima gxe standard transmission. It seems to run fine. For quite a while I have had the check engine light on. I brought car to auto parts store and they scanned it and found code P1441. I did research on this and it indicates an issue with the Evaporative Emission Control System. It seems that there are a few possibilities of what can cause this code. I replaced the fuel tank cap as that was an easy thing to do but it prevent the check engine light from coming on. I need to bring the car to emissions soon and they won't pass it with the check engine light on. So, I need help. I have basic familiarity with engines (changing oil, spark plugs, wires, tires, air filter) but not a lot beyond that. I do have a jack and jack stands which I might need as it seems that some of the components that might be fault are under the car. Anyway, is this something I can handle and can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
7/22/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Anthony, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Hello!The code is for a pinhole leak in the fuel tank vent lines. Theres no way to find that at home. However if you pay a shop to do a smoke test they can tell you exactly where the leak is and then you can change the part yourself. A smoke test is about $100 to have performed.
I assume that there are many fuel tank vent lines (not just 2 or 3) so that identifying the correct one to replace and not replacing all of them would be the way to go. In other words, if there are not many lines and they are cheap and easy to replace I would just do them all. I am assuming that is not the case. Can you confirm? thanks!
Exactly, you will pull your hair out doing all of them and then it turns out to be a small hose near the engine. Have the test done and make the shop show you the leak then you will be fine.
Ok, I will find a shop that does this and do what you say. Once I identify the hose, I will be in touch for advice on changing it. thanks!
You are very welcome.
I had smoke test done today. They found smoke leaking from where vapor canister vent solenoid (valve) joins with the charcoal canister (driver side back under car). They didn't find smoke anywhere else. The garage recommended replacing this valve to solve the problem. I am going to try to attach a picture of the valve. Do you think this is the issue? Also, can you send me a link to buy this part if it is the issue.I found what I believe is the part online:
http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=1998-2001+Nissan+Altima+Vapor+Canister+Vent+Solenoid+Dorman&x=0&y=0
Thats it!
You got it!
Ok, once it arrives I will put in and be in contact. thanks!
Ok,
I put in part yesterday and it went in easy, no issues. However, check engine light was still on. I disconnected battery and reconnected thinking I might need to do that but light was still on. I went to auto parts store for them to scan it and they found two codes: p0440 evaporative emission system and p1441 evaporative very small leak. I should note that when smoke test was done there was smoke coming out of this type of pipe in the back of the car. The mechanic plugged that as I guess it was normal for the smoke to come out from there. At that point the smoke was seen coming between where the part I installed joins with that charcoal canister. The mechanic didn't see smoke anywhere else. I thought there might be a gasket that was between the part I installed and charcoal canister and maybe that was defective but there wasn't gasket there. What do you think would be next step?
Hello!The next step is to find the other leak. He didnt do the smoke test right.
I went back to same place and they did test again. I watched this time as well. It appears there is smoke coming out of the same place as before, which is where this vapor canister vent solenoid meets the charcoal canister. Not sure why smoke is coming out there. It is possible that we are not tracing the smoke correctly and it is coming from somewhere else. Is it possible that the charcoal canister is bad and needs to be replaced.
Anthony
Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician