Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Van turns over but will not start, did a lot of dign. problems,

Customer Question
even know it has NO...
Van turns over but will not start, did a lot of dign. problems, even know it has NO spark, and hooked up the obd, and it shows nothing, can't get it to give us anything... tried different keys, checkec all the fuses, moved all the relay around, I give up, .....
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
Please don't give me the run a round, and just guess what the answer is so you can get my $$$$,,, don't mind paying for the right answer... Thanks
7/21/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Can you communicate with the ECM using your OBD2? When you turn the key to the ON position does the radiator fans come on? Let me know.
Yes the fan comes on, and NO it will not comm. with the scanner..
Thank you... What you are dealing with is fail safe. There is a control unit that has failed. When a major control unit has failed it goes into Fail Safe. A sign of fail safe is the fans coming on when the key is turned to the ON position. Since you can't communicate with the Ecm, it is very possible that the Ecm has failed and that is why it won't start and that is why it's in fail safe. A more advanced level scanner may be required to communicate with all control units and do what they call a CAN system test. This checks all control unit communications with each other and shows which one is not communicating. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/CAN%20Image.jpg That is a Example of a CAN system chart. That is actually from a Infiniti with a Bad ICC Laser. Notice how it's red. That means it can't communicate with it. IF the Ecm is bad, you will need to have it replaced, All Keys to the Van Reprogrammed and then the Base Idle Calibrated by performing a Idle Relearn. Are you a shop?
Yes, and we used the top dollar scanner from snap-on.... we can get a TCM reading but NOT a ECM... while turning over the motor the tach, don't even work.. So what you are saying its a control unit, wjich one and how many are there ??? this vec. sat on our lot for about 2 mo. with out starting or moving, as we drove it to get some gas, and parked it on the lot to sell, which we did today and we found this problem... and did all of the dign. I mentioned ...
Silly Question, you checked all fuses right?
In case you would like to speak with me to help you. I am offering you Additional Service. If you do not wish to accept it, we can continue here.
pull every one under the dash and engine comp, and swapped the big black relays (3) all looked good but could NOT check relays, that's why we swapped them...
Well this is what I can do. I can give you the Ecm Terminal Reference Chart. This way you can check all input signals to see if they are all present. If they are, then you know the issue is 100% the Ecm. Based on the information I have heard from you, I am fairly certain that is your problem. But will provide you with that info. please hang on while I get it
But I can NOT understand Why it went out from just sitting and not driving it.. as we drove it before we parted it ????
I can not explain that. I can simply only help with what we need to get the Van operating again. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/04QuestECMtermialref.pdf That is the Ecm terminal reference chart. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
thanks for the chart, do you also have a schematic on which fuse is what, esp. the relays, they are not marked on the cover.. only the pull fuses...
I have the power supply and routing if that is what you mean..
It does not show every one. But it shows most..
just what the fuses run and connected to, as show on the fuse cover, but don't show the relays...
the service manual does not show the fuse box covers. So I can't show you that type of layout. Let me show you what I can show you.. Hang on..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/04Questpowersupplyrouting.pdf That is the power supply and routing
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician