Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Fontier: i have 2000 nissan frontier 3.3 its getting oil into

Customer Question
i have 2000 nissan frontier...
i have 2000 nissan frontier 3.3 its getting oil into the water. the head gaskets were change 3 month ago.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
7/20/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Jay, Nissan Technician replied 2 years ago
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Where are you seeing the water in the oil? In the Radiator? or the Engine Oil?
the radiator and the engine oil
I am seeing oil in the water.
Head gaskets were changed 2 to 3 months ago and I am still getting oil in my water.
Is this a Automatic Transmission?
yes its a automatic transmissions
Has the automatic trans fluid been checked to see if maybe the trans cooler has failed and that oil is actually transmission fluid?
It looks like oil to me.
I know, It may look like oil. But it's more common for the trans cooler to fail to cause this type of mixture verses a head gasket. When you had the head gaskets done, where the heads sent out to a machine shop to be checked?
Do you know how to check your trans fluid?
I didn't do the job the first time, and someone else done the head job. So I don't know.
I checked the fluid and it doesn't have any transmissions fluid in it, but where the oil is in the water, it is thick as melassis.
Do you think I have a bad head or what?
If you check the trans fluid, what color is the fluid? Is it pink and milky?
milky
Then that is where your mixture is coming from. The trans cooler in the radiator has failed and the trans fluid is mixing with the coolant, and the coolant is mixing in the to the transmission. so the Radiator will need to be replaced and the transmission will need to be flushed and hope the contamination does not damage it. This was most likely your issue the whole time and not the head gaskets. I have never seen engine oil leak into the coolant system. I have seen plenty of trans coolers fail and mix like you are describing. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!
I am just giving you this as a offer if you would like to speak to me directly about this issue. Thanks Jay!
are you sure, cause it looks like oil and water mixture, its has no red color, its grey milky.
Trans fluid as you get up in mileage can get dark like engine oil. Yes if the trans fluid is milky, that is coolant in the transmission that causes that. So if your getting coolant in the transmission, it makes sense that is where the oil is coming from. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!
Jay
Jay
Jay, Nissan Technician