Nissan

Nissan Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Nissan

Pickup XE: My 95 hardbody with an automatic transmission will

Customer Question
My 95 hardbody with an...
My 95 hardbody with an automatic transmission will not shift through all the gears. I can start with the shift lever in 1st to get it going. then shift it into 2nd and D and the transmission will shift up but does not shift to any other gear. Other times I get in, with a cold engine, and it shifts through all gears just fine.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Nissan
It will shift into one higher gear than when put in 1st but thats it. I dont think its second gear though because I can do 50mph at 3000 rpm. I think its in third gear that point!
I first assumed it was going into "limp" mode but I can shift from "1st" into "D" and can hear the transmission engage at that time. Also, I checked the tranny fluid and it is clean and full. Actually its a little overfilled, could this be the problem?
7/15/2015
Nissan Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youdoes it shift as if it gos into neutral when it is time to shift?
No the engine continues to rev up and up with no shifting. if I release the accelerator doing say 40 mph the rpms drop to 1000ish. when I push the accelerator again it revs to about 2k to 2500 then the tranny "catches" again and truck will accelerate
ok,,when manually shifting,,does it go into every gear?
is the fluid bright red or is it a brownish color?
No...when I shift into first, it seems as if it is in 2nd by the amount of power I get. then I shift into 2nd or D and it shift up a gear but no further. There is no difference between 2nd and D.
does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the trouble codes?
no check engine light or error codes to be read. I went through the diagnostics procedure, modes 1 to 5, and no codes and everything worked as its suppose to.
ill have to double check on the fluid color I remember it wasnt dark or burnt looking.
ok..
from the way you explain,it sounds as if you have a bad solenoid unit on the valve body
it doesnt seem to be slipping..it just isnt going into 1st and 4th[from the way you explain
checked the fluid...I would describe it as brownish red..not fresh tranny fluid but nothing burnt
no slipping
you need to check the wiring to the transmission to make sure it has no damage,,if the wiring is good,,i would think it is the solenoid unitthanksPLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX].https://www.dropbox.com/s/wm8hzm55fcnocw5/0715-pathfinder-Close%20Window.doc?dl=0.if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this waythanks.www.dropbox.com/s/wm8hzm55fcnocw5/0715-pathfinder-Close%20Window.doc?dl=0. If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help
thanks I will do so and get back with you
ok,,please dothanks
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic