Mike V.
Mike V., Nissan Technician
Experience:  Nissan factory trained and Certified Subaru Technician.
2921078

I have a 02 altima with a 2.5l engine and I'm getting a orange

Customer Question

I have a 02 altima with a 2.5l engine and I'm getting a orange spark from all 4 coil packs. Any ideas?
Category: Nissan
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
HI there,Will the car start and run like this?Was anything done to the car prior to this happening?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No it will not start. The car was going 70mph and just died on the freeway and hasn't run since. It will just turn over.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks for the information.This indicates a poor ground issue. Clearly they are getting the voltage and signal. I would start by checking the negative battery terminal and it's connection on the body and transmission. If it's broken it could cause this type of issue. If it's in good shape and clean, then check the grounds attached to the intake manifold and cylinder head, make sure they are clean and tight. It's odd that this happened which is why I am thinking possible issue with the ground to the transmission. Another thing to try is some starting fluid directly into the throttle. Then crank and see if it will fire on that, if it does then it' a fuel issue.Also, sometimes the immobilizer can go off like this if you have a cell phone near the key or even some type of thruway pass on the dash, so make sure the security light goes out when you are cranking the engine. if it isn't, then the keys will need to be reprogrammed.Please let me know what more I can do to help with this.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cleaned all grounds and looked for the security light but didn't notice one. I pulled all 4 spark plugs and they smelled like gas so I cleaned them and put them back in. when I sprayed the starting fluid in it turned over faster but still wouldn't crank.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if possible, check the voltage to the coils. Make sure there are 12 volts going to them. You can do this with the key on engine off. If the power is there and the grounds are good, then it would usually be a coil issue. It's just unusual that you would have this issue on all 4. Also, if possible use a spark tester, this loads the coil better so we can see what's really happening.Let me know.